Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Kenmore Series 90 clothes dryer((older model). Recently

I have a Kenmore Series 90 clothes dryer((older model). Recently it began to not produce hot air during the cycle. I deduced it might be the heating element. I stopped by the Sears part store and picked up a new unit.....Later I pulled out the old heating element and sure enough it had a broken element. I slipped the new element back in and reconnected the wires....plugged in the dryer and would not even come on...I rechecked the wires on the heating element and everything was fine...still it would not come on....I even replaced the new element with the old one again (at least the drum was turning with the old element)...but nothing.....What went wrong and what is your suggestion(s)....Thanks, Mike
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

can you look inside the door and get me the full model # ? thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The dryer worked before the new element(without heat of course) now it won't work with new or old element....thought it might be the door switch or something like that...I did lay the dryer on it's back while taking out the heating element...didn't disturb anything else..
ok well the thermal fuse is probably bad. it may look like this Part 2986or this Part 2923you can do an easy test on this by putting the two wires together and see if it starts. this is located on the blower housing. if you can get me the model # XXXXX'll look it up and get you diagrams,thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry..I don't have actual model number as the dryer is located at my daughters house...what would make the thermal fuse go bad in the replacement process?
this is Bryan agian , I meant to tell you to put tape around the bare connectors when you have the together so you dont ground them out to the body of the dryer, remember this is only at test if it runs you must replace the thermal fuse ,its a safety fuse and you could have a fire if you leave it like that and the dryer overheats. these fuses go all the time for no reason sometimes. I would check this before going further.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The fuse in your picture on the top (long white) looks like the connector on the heating element and looks to be permanently atteched to that part...the fuse you are referring it that one or back down inside the dryer toward the back? it fairly accesible?
well these can be in the back or front depending on the model , i dont know what model you have, did the element go in from the front.? there are different fuses in these machines , the one your talking about might be the high limit for the heating element and not the right one. can you call your daughter and have her see if she can get the model #? it should be right inside the door on a tag and should start with a 3 number prefixe like 110. or 106 or some combo like that , let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok...I think I understand the difference...the 2 large red wires on the heating element (which slides from the from) are connected to the that part...the fuse you are referring to will be around the blower ...I will check it out when I get up there this afternoon...thank you very much.!!   Mike
your welcome Mike. I'll be around if you need further help just come back on and ask, thanks Bryan