Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Dishwasher; Whirlpool - Quiet Wash Plus - 940 Series ; My

Customer Question

Dishwasher; Whirlpool - Quiet Wash Plus - 940 Series ; My dishwasher leaks (overflows) throught the bottom of the door right before the rince cyle. I replaced the switch and cleaned the float and they seem work. When I tested it after I relaced the switch and cleaned the float, it still overflowed but with alot less water this time. "But it still overflowed." With the panel off, I can actually watch the water level at the bottom corners of the door while the dishwasher is running. The level hovers right at the rim and the waves are what causes the overflows. Is the door suposed to be sealed because it does not have ant groves for any kind of seals along the bottom of the door?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
open the door up and look at the sticker on the frame where the door seals. Can you give me the full model please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
DU940QWDQ3
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
check to make sure your lower wash arm is not not cracked somewhere alone the seam as this will push the washer in forms that are too high on the bottom of the washer. The door line is somewhat supposed to seal to the base of the tub when shut but not comepletely. Water will still go around the edges and water will still get behind the bottom of the inner door liner. There is not seal it's just plastic on plastic.

If the float is stopping the water at too high of a level then make sure the tub is level and not tipping foward.

Aside from that, that is about the only things that can cause your problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I made sure the dishwasher was balanced after I put it back under the counter. Then I tested it again and here's what happened. During the second cycle, the water level was gradually getting hirer and hire until it started to overflow right before the rince cycle. So I stopped it and and pushed the drain button to empty the water. Again, I was able to watch the water level because the panel was still off.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
what exactly do you mean that the water level was gradually getting higher? There is a 1-3 minute period that it fills with water and then it stops when it hits the float switch, it shouldn't continue to fill after that (except if the float is moving up and down it may turn on for a split second until it balances out).

It sounds like your have something wrong with you float switch if everything I said above checked good. I know ou replaced the switch but just replace the float also
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the responce but unfortunitly we're not finished. I tested the dishwasher again and watched the stem of the float from the bottom of the dishwasher. It bobbled up and down until it stayed up but the water level kept on rising. So I cancelled the wash by opening up the door. As I looked in the dishwasher, I noticed that the hot water still was coming in from the left inside wall. I drained it dishwasher and the water continued pouring in even when the draining finished. The only way I could stop the hot water coming in was to shut the valve under the sink. I even turn the power off and the hot water kept flowing in. In the previous test, the hot water turned off after about 2 minutes after the draining finished. Could there be another eletronic control gizmo malfuntioning or a bad fill valve?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok perfect that's exactly what you needed to see. The problem is your water valve is sticking open somewhat I'm very happy this hasn't flooded your house yet because it will. By opening the door you cut power to the water valve so if it continues to fill your valve is sticking open. Replace your valve and you've solved your problems.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your Dishwasher Expert was very helpful on guiding me along to find out what my problem was because the “text book answer” was not the solution. She/He patiently muttled through it with me and we finally achieved success. Thanks for all of your support.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
glad I could help you and have a great day.