Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a maytag performa Washing machine that has a lot of

Customer Question

I have a maytag performa Washing machine that has a lot of vibration during spin cycle. It's gotten worse the last couple of months, it's level, loads have not shifted, etc. It happens on small, or large loads. I am trying to check the springs that hold the bucket assembly tight while it spins but cannot figure out how to open the darn thing up. Can you help? I also have noticed that the agitator appears to be loose to some degree and swaying at the top several inches across, whereas before I thought it stayed pretty centered.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
to access the washer, there are 2 hidden metal spring clips located between the top panel and the front panel. Use a putty knife or thin flat head screwdriver to push back on these clips in the seam and the top panel will hinge up and backwards. Remove the screws at the top holding the front panel on and you can then remove the front panel.

You can check the spring as well as look for a "white powder" in the bottom. If there is a lot of white powder it means your snubber ring has worn out and you need a new one. Unfortunately this is not something you can do yourself as it takes specialty tools to access, but the part only runs about $20.

As far as the agitator, it should remain centered in the tub, it is deffinately loose on the top 6 inches or so but that is normal. Make sure you cannot move the inner tub and wobble it inside the outter tub. They should feel somewhat rigid together.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much, I am trying that now, and will let you know how it goes in a few minutes, hopefully. Sounds easy enough!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
no problem and best of luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't see any spring clips on the front panel, in fact between the top panel and the front panel, there is not enough room to get a push pin in there. I did take a flash light and look from the inside, right above the agitator and bucket and could see none there either. Could there be some clips built into the hinges on the back of the washer, it looks like something might be there
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
can I get a model number to be 100% sure on this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Maytag Performa Oversized Capacity Washer W-17, or Lat2200-2300-2500
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok this is completely different then the model I though of. You will have to release the bottom front panel to hinge the entire unit foward up and off. There are either 2 screws at the bottom or 2 spring clips at the very bottom you need a flat head screwdriver to release.

There are only 3 springs on this unit and the tranmission frame sits on pats that if they wear through you will see black powder all over. If you see that you need this kit.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX spring clips, popped the panel right off and never had to lift the top... one follow up question. I don't see anything wrong with the springs, they all feel decently tight, no powder per that kit you might be talking about. Well, there is a little, but not much at all considering it's 8 years old or so. The springs clip into eye bolts in the bottom of the frame, can I tighten these a little?

I mean, I know I can, because they are in a threaded nut, and the nut can be tightened in order to tighten the springs, but to what degree should I tighten or not?

This is my first time to use this service, and was very skeptical, but you have proven the service is worth it. Thanks for the help,
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Well I'm glad you like the service. You can tighten the nuts down but don't do more than 2 or 3 turns to them and make sure to do it to all 3 equally.

Chances are you will need to replace that kit I linked to you above it you want it to really go smoothly again. The transmission glides on top of those pads and allows the tub to move without shaking the case very much. To install that kit you need to take all 3 springs off and then put a couple wood blocks underneath the middle pulley on the bottom of the washer. Then set the washer down and it will push the entire transmission and tub support upwards so that you have an inch or 2 to remove the old pads and install the new ones.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, thanks for your help. You have saved me hours of help via search engines, phone calls, etc. I really appreciate it. I'll tighten the springs for now, and watch for the vibration, if it continues, I'll definitely get those replaced.

Thanks again for all of your help,

Robert Prince
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
no problem and best of luck to you friend.