Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I replaced an ice maker in a Kenmore sidebyside refringerator,

Customer Question

I replaced an ice maker in a Kenmore sidebyside refringerator, the water is now shooting out of the the water dispenser.
My question is it because of air in the line?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
did you touch the the valve in the back for any reason? I mean in the rear of the refrigerator where the water line connects? there shouldnt be any air in the line on that side of the valve just from changing the ice maker let me know. it sounds like the plugs on the valve got switched to the wrong sides. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I turned the water off from the wall so Ii could install it. after I installed it I turned it back on. and When the water came on for the ice maker it started shooting the water out of the dispenser in the front of the fridge. So I turned the water off again.

What is the problem?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The valves you are referring to are these connected to the fridge?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes.ok try that again and have someone hold a cup under the water dispenser but tell them not to push it in like there getting water this is just to catch any water if it happens again, turn the water on slow. see if it still does it. it sounds now like you need a water valve for some reason it seems to be open, its eletronic and may be stuck open. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did replace the valves in the back of the frindge after the storm, but the ice maker never worked.

I just turned the water valve back on at the wall, now nothing is happening, I do have a glass at the dispenser to catch any water that might come out, but nothing is working.

How long does it take for the water to dispense in the ice maker?

And what should I do now?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well the ice maker has to cool down to about 8 degrees before it starts making ice so you need to give it some time, can you get water out of the door now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, I checked it no water. do i need to unplug it to reset it maybe?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
not on this model, I think I know whats going on , can you get me the full model #? thanks , Bryan, dont worry will get to the bottom of this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
#596.52673200
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Correction I left the wire up inside the ice maker. I just put it down the ice dropped 2pcs of ice and the water dispensed out of the front of the fridge.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok I believe your chiller tank is frozen up on you.Part 224974remove the crisper drawer and look behind them in the fresh food section and you will see this, or yours may have a tube all rolled up with water in it . take a hair dryer and run in all over this but also near where the tubes connect and defrost this. when these sit a little while they sometimes will freeze , keep trying the water in the door as you do this and see if the water starts to flow, get it flowing good and then your ice maker should start getting water and making ice again. let me know , thanks Bryan, you got it working I guess while I was writing this, great , if you need anything more let me know, thanks bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
when you say water came out the door were saying it came out when the ice maker cycled? if that happened you have the two plugs on the water valve switched. let me know . thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How long with the blow dryer and how will I know it is flowing.

Did you recieve the email reply about the wire inside the ice maker being up, and the ice dropped 2-pcs , thw water coming out of the water dispenser.

Will the blow dryer still work?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes it did. The water value you are referring is the one in the back of the fridge at the bottom?

What next disconnect and swich them?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes disconect them and switch them if that doesnt work then try the hair dryer sounds like the wires are crossed, try pressing the water dispenser and see if water goes into the ice maker. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did press the water dispenser and nothing came out, only when the ice maker cycled .

I have shut the water off again. I need to know do you have a picture of a water valve

or instructions on how to install the valve the right way?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this is the valve. Part 1018you can see the spades for the plugs one comes out the side and one the back. you need to pull the plugs and reverse the them put the one on the side to the one on the back and vice versa. this valve is in the back where the water line connects. try that and let me know,
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks I will retry this again.

I am a woman trying to get this right Big Thanks for your help.

If I need to I will email you again.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no problem , anytime you can still come back if you need more help. just leave the question open and they wont charge you again, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok I will do that.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
bye for now and good luck, Bryan