Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Whirlpool dryer Model WGD5521SQ0- Set dryer at highest heat

Customer Question

Whirlpool dryer Model WGD5521SQ0- Set dryer at highest heat cycle - heats up and after 20 minutes only cool air. Is there a timer or sensor I need to replace?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well the first thing to do is check the vent system. make sure its clear. this sounds like its overheating and the thermostat is kicking off, does the heat come back on after it cools a while? let me know thanks Bryan, p.s. try running it with the vent off and see if this happens.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bryan:

Thanks. Vented area wide open no blockage. Dryer runs inconsistently. Runs at adjusted temperature and than goes in to cool cycle. after several hours off it will repeat. Seems as if a timer or temeparture sensor is shutting off gas? there are several timers and sensors that control heat

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok I believe you have bad gas coils in this , this is usually the cause of this problem , these open and hold open the gas valve, there are other reasons such as the thermostats, flame sensor , or igniter but for the most common cause its the gas coils. these are not expensive and you can get them here@ http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=5141814 these are fairly easy to replace and heres a picture on where there located Gas Dryer Gutshope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bryan that is what i supsected thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
no problem well wishes and thanks, Bryan