Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Sears is delivering a Kenmore Elite dryer later this month.

Sears is delivering a Kenmore Elite dryer later this month. My existing electrical hook-up is a three wire and the new appliance is equiped with a four wire plug and, as I understand it, set up for 30 amp service. My old Maytag was also 30 amp, but I notice the fuse box has a 40 amp breaker. (Am I lucky the old unit didn't overload?)

What's the least expensive way to safely deal with this set up?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well when you have a 40 amp breaker it will take more to trip it if something goes bad in the dryer, but the good news is the dryer has a thermal fuse in it that will blow if the dryer overheats. you should however replace the three wire run with a four wire run to the box and change the breaker to a 30 amp. I would have an eletrician do this. the factory may void your warranty if its set up wrong and something goes wrong with dryer.hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes that makes total sense to me. I checked with an electrician and running the new wire plus a city permit could run me $700. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and get up to code.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well its much safer you you and your faminly not to mention if your new dryer needs a major repair there goes some big money too if they void the warranty, better to be safe than sorry. well wishes and thanks Bryan