I.can
I.can, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 Years of experience installing and repairing appliances
13086822

maytag neptune electric dryer MD5500 wont run. display lights

maytag neptune electric dryer MD5500 won't run. display lights all work.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  I.can replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

There are about five common problems that can cause the dryer not to run,
Even with display lights. No fault codes in the display???

Defective Door Switch
The door switch must be operative before the dryer will start. Ensure the door switch strike is properly actuating the switch and if so, check the door switch for continuity with an ohmmeter for proper operation.
Faulty Drive Motor
If the motor will not start, it is possible it is defective. The wiring of the motor is different for each brand and you will need to refer to the wiring diagram of your dryer for the specific terminal locations. You will need to use a volt/ohm meter to check for resistance between the run winding and common (may be referred to a neutral). If there is no resistance, the motor is open and will need to be replaced.

The motor bearings can also go bad. A dryer with a motor in this condition can sometimes be started by hand and it will run. However when the motor gets hot the bearings begin to seize and the motor will stop. In this condition you must also replace the motor.

Recent Customer Symptoms
Dryer will hum like a capacitor is not kicking in. If I manually turn the drum and then try to start it will start some of the time, but still \"drag\" down before it starts. I cleaned the blower fins, vent, and checked the belt. It is a Maytag Neptune.

Heat Source
Electric Dryers:
On Electric dryers you will need to check the heat element for resistance. With the power disconnected, remove the two wires connecting to the heat element and check the resistance of the heat element by using a volt/ohm meter. The resistance should be between 5 and 50 ohms of resistance. If there is no reading the element is defective and will need to be replaced.

If the element is not receiving power it is likely that one of the thermostats is defective.

Defective Thermal Fuse
The thermal fuse is in series with one leg of power to the motor. If the fuse is open (no continuity) the motor will not run. (Only the Motor will not run)

Location:
The thermal fuse is located in different locations according to the model and brand of dryer.

Solution:
Check the thermal fuse for continuity with a volt/ohm meter. If it is open, it will need to be replaced.

Timer
The timer is the source for power to the motor and if the timer contacts are defective, there will be no power getting to the motor. Since the wiring is different between brands and models, you will need to refer to your wiring diagram for terminal locations. Once you have located the correct terminal for the motor operation, you will need to turn on the dryer and check for 110v from the timer terminal for motor operation and the chassis ground. If you have the voltage, the timer is most likely okay and the problem is elsewhere. If there is no voltage, the timer is defective and must be replaced.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there was no error code, and while I was waiting for your reply, the dryer started working again
Expert:  I.can replied 7 years ago.
Okay!

This means it is intermittent and it is most likely a door switch, or timer.

or a loose wire some where.