Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

bought in 1998, mod #scd22tbw. freezer not quite getting as

bought in 1998, mod #scd22tbw. freezer not quite getting as cold as it used to. set at 6 now. what is metal box at front, bottom of unit. has a little knob sticking out of it, i might have turned it by accident. great unit until this prob, never any trouble. thanx, pete
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this is your defrost timer. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=the little knob your refering to. is there frost on the back panel inside the freezer section? check real good and let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no frost bryan, just doesnt get as cold at the setting weve always had it on. it is 10 yrs old, but should still get colder. put a thermometer in there app 2&1/2 hrs ago an its at 27.5 degrees.freezer setting knob is in fridge side, set at 6 and goes to 7. will defrost knob have anything to do with this if i accidently turned it? it turns right but not left
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well you may have put it in defrost and now its not comming out maybe. try turning it about a quarter of a turn around and see if the refrigerator compressor comes on. is the fan running inside freezer? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
fan is constantly running, unit is constantly running. the seal around door is in fine shape, doors are aligned and close tight. do fridge.freezer units wear out after 10 years? seems highly unlikely. i cleaned from back and front and made sure fan has no dust or dirt blockage. fan is blowing inside freezer. do these ever need freon charges?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok , you need to remove the back panel in the freezer and check the coils for frost pattern, there should be an even frost pattern across all the coils not allot of frost just a lite coating, if you see one section with frost and the rest of the coils dont have any you have a freon leak. take a look and get back to me. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no frost bryan, but it took me a while to get panel off after removing everything in the way. should i give it a while an check again? woulnt this affect the fridge also? or are they separate systems? can this be fixed or am i going to have to replace whole thing? there is frost build up at the top of the coils.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
the frost buildup at the top of the coils is a bad sign. you are loosing freon, to get this fixed is expensive and you are probably better off replacing it unfortunately, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. you can try leaving cover off for awhile and see if the frost goes to the rest of the coils but after an hour if it doesnt then this is a major repair and wouldnt be worth it to you, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.