Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Professional Series Frigidaire electric built in oven.

Customer Question

I have a Professional Series Frigidaire electric built in oven. It is about 6 years old. The broiler seems to work finebut the oven takes an hour to heat up and it never gets past 300 degrees. What can I try?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

can you get me the full model #? I'll check back later and look this up for you, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model number PLEB30S8CCA. It is an electric built in oven The convection and bake oven does not heat up past about 240 degrees. It takes an hour or so to get it higher.The unit makes the "normal clicking" sounds that usually means it is heating up it just doesn't. The broiler works fine and the self cleaning works. The contol panel doesn't seem to have any issues.The heating element (coil or rod thing) on the top gets red and hot, the bottom one does not. I can't remember if it ever did though, I never noticed. Is that enough? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX never tried this sight before and it would be so great if we can fix it ourselves.Customer
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you probably have a bad bottom element. both come on in preheat but if the bottom element isnt cpomming on there can only be two reasons, ! the element is bad or two a wire to the element is burned off. we see this allot, shut breaker of and feel all around the bake element on the bottom and see if it has any rough spots or burn through, if not you need to take the screws out and pull the element out slowly dont loose the wires off of it and check for burned wire or take a meter to the element and chck for continuity. this is the element. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=let me know, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We received the new element. When we plugged in the black wire, it was ok. When we plugged in the gold wire -- big spark, lights dimmed. The bottom of the oven had a burn mark and the elment terminal and element wire burned (melted)at the connection My dad came over with a voltage checker and there is 120 volts ac measured between the black wire and the oven chassis. When black wire was pulled out from the back of the oven (before connecting to the element terminal) you could hear a sparking sound. My dad said there should be no way for the current thru the element could be so great as to melt the terminal, so we think the current surge somehow went though the oven metal bottom to ground. Even with the circuit breaker on, there is no voltage between the black and yellow wires (because the oven is turned off). When the circuit breaker is off, there is no voltage between the black wire and the oven chassis. This sounds like an abnormal condition (live ground) which may require an electrician. What do you think?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well there usually is current to one side of the element at all times on some ovens but the its 110 volts and when you turn the oven on the clicking sound is the really on the clock assembly sending the other 110 volts to the other side ,220 volts required to heat the element . maybe you need to call for service you may have a live ground or neutral wire shorted. did you plug in the wires while this was live? I hope not anyway you should probably get an electrician in to check this.