Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

hello, I have a GE side by side Model # XXXXX I am having

Customer Question

hello, I have a GE side by side Model # XXXXX I am having an issue with the ice make keeps defrosting every couple of days and water drips and fills the ice cube bin.. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
can you tell me if there is any frost on the back panel inside the freezer? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

Thanks for the reply, no frost on the back wall. It seems to defrost in the ice maker about 2-3x per week randomly all the ice like melts and water drips out of the ice holder then it will just start making ice again.

Thanks....

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this is your problem. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=its the main control board kit for this refrigerator. they have had to re disign these boards about 4 times to get it right, these are expensive and if you can wait until tomorrow i know a place I can call for the best price on this. Sears wants $220.00 and reclinic $170.00 but I think I can direct you to a place to get it cheaper.we replace allot of these. but there are different boards and i believe you have a variable speed compressor in this we need to make sure before ordering it. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sounds great Bryan, Just let me know what you find out and what other information I need to get you so we get the correct board. Can you give me a little insight of where it is located I am pretty sure I can handle installing it just need to know where the board is at.

Thanks,

Ian

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok the board is in the back behind a panel if you pull the refrigerator away from the wall and look on the right side looking from the back you will see a cover with1/4" screws in it , its behind that. what i need you to do is remove the panel and tell me if you smell a funny electrical plastic smell comming from the board. let me know I'm doing further research on thios model and you also have a compressor converter in this and I hope thats not the problem, I'll get back to you on that. let me know if the board smells funny. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

I took the cover off and smelled around it did NOT smell like plastic or anything funny. Keep me posted for any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Ian

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok do you or have you heard any buzzing or clicking comming from around that board? I talked to some of my supply houses and they agreed with me on the board so i believe you need to replace it. its not cheap ,the best price i found was @ http://midwayparts.net/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=87 $168.73. you can order it there if you wish or shop araound but make sure you get the right one, this is importent there are allot of close boards that are not right for your refrigerator. the part # XXXXX XXXXX well wishes and thanks Bryan