Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

I have a Kenmore elite washer Model 110.23032101 . It still

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore elite washer Model 110.23032101 . It still agitates but will not spin. Could it be the coupling and how do I go about changing it . Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 5 years ago.

Hello BigMike,

It Could be the coupling but does the motor run when in spin ? Does the water get pumped out?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes sir it does motor runs and water is pumped out

OK Mike,

to gain access to the coupler the ENTIRE cabinet comes off. You need to pop out two S-shaped clips which are hidden under the top console . On the edges of console are a plastic trim which come off and then you'll see a screw holding the console to the top . Remove these screws and pull out and up and lay the console back and let it hang there. On each side are these clips - pop out whit a screwdriver. Unplug the 3 wire connector to the top. open lid and pull up and out and remove the entire cabinet ( front hooks under frame) Now remove the pump which is held on with two springy clips. Remove the two screws in the clips on motor and remove the two clips holding the motor. Now pull the motor straight out. Now you'll see the coupler - plastic piece, then rubber piece, then rubber piece on transmission shaft. These can go bad in a couple of ways - sometimes the hole gets egg shaped and slips on the shaft, plastic cracks, rubber piece breaks etc.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does the fact that it pumps the water out ,rule out anything electrical like a solenoid that engages the clutch when it spins.
Yes that rules that out and there is no solenoid to engage the clutch. This is direct drive ( you'll see) and if the pump runs then motor is running the correct direction so you're down to coupler ( hopefully) or transmission problem.
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay coupler looks to be in good shape, when I manually turn drum clockwise the shaft turns ccw but when turn drum the opposite way the shaft does not turn.
That's not good - transmission problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tom thanks for your help ,After more trouble shooting found small sock in between drum and tub almost locking them up . removed the sock and reassembied .I think it is working find now Only worried about the wear on the clutch now. Hope its servicable
That shouldn't have damaged anything . Good thing you kept looking. Can't say I've ever seen a sock do that , Usually get's sucked over the drain hole and washer won't drain. Thanks for using justanswer.