Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Profile Performance refrigerator. A few weeks

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile Performance refrigerator. A few weeks ago, there was water on the floor in front of it. Turns out the ice make went out and all the ice melted. We put the bar up so it would not make anymore ice and that seemed to help. The freezer still works, but it's not as cold as it used to be. The fridge is also not as cold. I don't have a thermometer, but the meat in the freezer stayed frozen, but ice cream is mushy. Also, things in the fridge don't seem very cold. What should I do? We bought the fridge from my brother in law about 5 years ago, so I'm guessing it's about 6-7 years old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok , can you tell me if you see any frost on the back panel in the freezer section? also a model # XXXXX help. this should be in the fresh food section on the side wall or ceiling , please let me know, look real good for frost on the panel move your food and get a good look top to bottom. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Model # XXXXX

There is a thin layer of frost on the back wall of the freezer.

Thanks,

Melinda

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

ok it sounds like you ahve a defrost problem , we see this allot on these. you probably need a dfrost heater. i'll look that up for you and be right back thanks Bryan

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
according to your model 3 this has a dual defrost heater kit in it. this is the kit. Part 1972you can repair this yourself. first thing you need to do is remove the back panel in the freezer section and get a hair dryer and defrost all of the frost and ice out off the coils. you will probably find allot on the coils when you get the panel off, get lots of towels there will be allot of water. when you get it all defrosted you will see the heaters one on the bottom and one in the middle of the coils. there will be two screws holding these in one on each side. remove the scrand take the thermostat opff the coils and unplug the whole assembly it come with the whole set harness and all and just plugs in watch the way the wires are run to the top so you get it back in right. I'll get you some diagrams next thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
here are some diagrams to help you,
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
the heater assembly is part # XXXXX on the diagram.let me know if you need more help, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Where do I get the part? And, about how long will this take?

Thanks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
it usaully takes about an hour to defrost it and then maybe a half an hour to install and put back together, you can get this here, http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-TFX30PPBB-%3d%3di1972&PartID=1972 sorry i didnt put this on earlier. anyway you can defrost this now and when you get the part put it in. it takes about 3-4 weeks to frost back up again so it will run fine until the part gets there, and you shouldnt have to defrost it much when you go to put the parts in. just remember to put it back together while your waiting for the parts, without the back on it wont cool the fresh food side correctly. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
if you have no other questions please press the accept button its the its the only way I get paid for helping you, you will still be able to come back and ask more questions after if you need. just leave the question open and i'll reply if you need me, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
did you get the refrigerator defrosted last night? is it working today? let me know thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We are putting the part in today - will let you know how it goes. By the way, I found the same part $20 cheaper at appliancePartsPros.com. I ordered on Thursday and received on Friday.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
thats great. I figured I tell you what you needed. thought maybe if you shopped around you could find it cheaper, let me know what it looks like when you get it appart. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The coils has a lot of frost on them, didn't take that long to defrost. Whole job took about an hour - thanks for your help!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your very welcome , thanks and if you need any more help just ask. Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's been a day now and the ice maker is still not making ice. The fridge side is about 54 degrees, freezer is 34. I did put the bar back down so the ice maker would start working again. Are the temps what the should be and what should I do for the ice maker to start working again?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
did you put the rear panel in the freezer back on. ? this should colder by now . it has to get down to about 8 degrees to make ice. I know this is a hassel but you may need to pull the back panel off in the freezer section again and check the frost pattern, if all the coils have a light frosting on them it should be working, if only a few coils have frost you may be low on freon.the back panel in the freezer has to be on for the refrigerator to cool correctly . let me know ,thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, we put the back panel on. I noticed it has a light layer of frost on it like before, though. We will try to take the panel off today or tomorrow and let you know what the coils look like.

Thanks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok like I said look for an even frost pattern on the coils. if only one section like the top or one corner is frosted then you have a freon leak. also if you have a Lowes nearby pick up a coil brush to clean the coild under refrigerator and make sure the fan in the back near compressor is runnin and the the one in the freezer also, let me know thanks , Bryan