Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I am replacing the element in my Kenmore dryer. Also replace

I am replacing the element in my Kenmore dryer. Also replace two thermal cut-off swithes that are attached to the element houseing. Witch wires go where? Two red wires coming from the dryer, Red amd white striped and black wire that are independent. PLEASE HELP!!!!
ok can you get me the model #? is this the set you replaced? Part 2651let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Kenmore model number XXXXXXXXXXX
your model # XXXXX through all xxxxxxxx try putting spaces between #s. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
kenmore dryer model number 1 0 1 6 3 9 4 2 1 0 1
is this what you replaced.? Part 2821does you heating element slide into a tube in the bottom front of the dryer and look like this? Part 525502? the model # XXXXX gave me didnt come up but I think you ment to put this # XXXXX 110.63942101. I think you had the 110 in the begining mixed up with101 is that right?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes that is the correct model number.
ok on the wires that go to the element shoukld be different size than the others the have bigger spades and the other ones wont fit on the element start by finding the two that fit on the element, put them on and then let me know whats left, there are only two that will fit the element spades.I'll see if I can find the diagram while you do that. Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks i go do that now
ok then look at this diagram and I'll walk you trough the rest of the wiring.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
one red wire coming from the dryer has a large spade and the other is a small spade. The red and white independent wire has large spades, the black independent wire has small spades
ok put the one large red wire from the dryer on the outside(closest to you towards the front) on the element , then the independent wire with large spades goes one on the other element conector and the other end on the closest spade on the thermostat marked #48 on the side of the element. the blacl wire goes between the two elements marked 48 and 47 on the diagram and the you should have one more wire to plug on the other side (furthest back on #47) and that should do it. let me know if this goes together like I'm instructing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
where does the other wire from the dryer go? Does it matter if the wires go on the top or bottom of the 48 and 47?
it dosent mattar top or bottom on the thermostats 47 and 48 and the last wire goes from machine to the last spade on # XXXXX let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how long should it take for the dryer to get hot? Is there anything else that would make the dryer not heat?
well you should see the element getting red right away.have you tried it and its not heating?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no heat at all
what made you replace the first parts in this? did someone tell youi thats what was wrong? this dryer has allot of different parts that run the heating system, do you have a volt meter and know how to use it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did this once before, stopped getting hot, so i replaced the element, and it worked. Though it was the same problem this time. I have to get a volt meter, don't have one. Is there a fuse on this dryer? Where would it be?
well theres a thermal fuse in this but when it goes the dryer wont even start. I believe i know what your problem is though. its probably the heat relay, I done allot of these, let me check that and i'll be back shortly. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks , Am going to my nieghbors to get a volt meter, Thanks
great I'll tell you what to do when you get it, this is the relay which I think is your problem, part v#15 on this diagram,
this is the relay, dont buy it here I think its cheaper at another site I know if this is the problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok got the meter, now what do i do?

first set it on voltage and test the power going into machine, you should get 220 volts if you do the unplug machine and up in the control board next to the dryness control board you will see a relay like the one i showed you we need to check th power comming out of this with the machine running. so get to the relay and let me know when your ready,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Got to the relay and one of the wire came off, connected it, she runs Laughing!!!!! THANK YOU!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!!
no problem thanks and I'm glad its going again ,sorry you spent money on parts you didn't need probably but look at the bright side you wont have to replace these for a long time. please don't forget to press accept so i will get paid for all my work on this, and bonuses are appreciated, well wishes and thanks, Bryan
you already accepted, so thanks and come back anytime,Bryan