Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My magtag clothes washer ( mav 39 ) suddenly started making

My magtag clothes washer ( mav 39 ) suddenly started making a rough noise when agitating -and it smells like something is burning- checked belts and they look fine - motor can be moved by hand is it supposed to do that???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
can you get me full model # ? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok the motor does move by hand.what to do is remove the belt and spin the pump b\y hand and see if it makes a noise, sometimes these pump bearings go bad and make noise. this will also make the belt slip, thus the burning smell. check that and let me know . also if the belt is real shiny it may be slipping and causing noise and smell, thanks Bryan. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
all checked out fine - no noise from pump - it does sound like it is from the motor ????
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
that could be , how old is this machine? does it smeel like electrical kinda of burning smell? this would be the motor, the windings are probably overheating, heres the motor, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=it runs around $120.00, hope this helps Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the machine is less than 5ys old - yes it does smell electrical -
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well unfortunately maytag has gone bankrupt and whirlpool bought them out, I doubt theres a warranty on it but I would check anyway, some machines have 5 year warranty's on the motors. well wishes and thanks Bryan