Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My GE Refrigerator - Eterna - Model #ERS2026DA is not cold

My GE Refrigerator - Eterna - Model #ERS2026DA is not cold on the refrigerator side only. The freezer seems to be fine. The evaporator coils were completely covered in frost so I defrosted the unit last night and turned it back on and it is now running but I feel its going to happen again. I'm still not sure if the temperature is going to be what it should be in the refrigerator section. Is there a part I should be replacing to avoid this from keep happening?
you have a defrost problem in this , most likely one of these 3 problems that happens in these refrigerators., 1 the defrost thermostat. Part 2387 2, the defrost heater. Part 914088 or 3. the defrost timer. Part 2578, my guess on yours is the heater but you need a volt meter and know how to check continuity to be sure whats bad. do you have one and know how to use it? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I do have a meter and know how to use it.
ok can you get the back panel off inside the freezer section? the heater is at the bottom and it has two screws holding it in . unplug the refrirator and remove the heater check for contiuity across the two spades on the sides. if you have continiuty its good if not replace it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK, once I do this where are the other two parts to check so I can go through all of them to verify there operation? I really appreciate your help.
ok the thermostat is on the top of coils. check that the same way.i have to look up where the timer is located on your refrigerator but if the two parts you check are good you need the timer. p.s. you have to check the thermostat while its cold so dont remove it from the coils keep it cold.I'm not sure if this one unplugs so you may have to trace the wires and check at the connectors.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for all your help!
the timer is located behind the light panel inside fresh food section. heres a diagram. it # XXXXX on this.