Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

Our Ice maker has just stopped producing ice in our whirlpool

Our Ice maker has just stopped producing ice in our whirlpool American style black fridge freezer - help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 5 years ago.
do you still get a strong water supply out the door
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes - but it became weak for a while today but regained strength as i filled a jug . The ice has not been produced id say for weeks but only noticed it now because we've run out !

look at the icemaker and tell me if the ejector fingers that push the ice out of it is pointing towards 2 oclock please
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
cant really see the fingers they are pointing down away from me
does your i/m set across inside or the head outwards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i think the model number whirlpool is 20RB D4

i dont understand your question , but is there a setting on the front door im misssing or a beam problem .

please try not to take a long time to answer please . thank you

no problem ,,,, there should be a sticker inside the fridge on the upper right hand wall with the model number ,,,, does this unit have the beams that shoots across from one wall to the other?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Im Sure that the model number is XXXXX - Whirlpool 6th Sense 20RB D4

there is no sticker! We are in Ireland !!!!

The is an Infra red beam which , when the door closes goes through the gap in the ice holder and when the box is full the beam is broken and i spose stops ice production. Currently - there is nothing blocking the beam and the ice box is empty and fitted correctly and sitting in its place correctly .

ok thanks ,,, i know the fridge because we have the same box here just not the model number ,,,, raise the front cover in front of the icemaker and that will also push the light switch in and hold the flap on the beam shut and see if the icemaker starts to run and if the beam gets solid or keep flashing ,,, thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok - when i open door and push lid to switch off light and hold flap - There is no light above the receiver beam receptor at all . However once i lower the lid slightly and allow the internal light to come on - then a stationary red light appears on the right hand side receiver, no flashing . still no motion or anything happening in the ice box ,. does this help ?

is the fingers still down inside the icemaker
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes

take the screw out at the rear under the icemaker and remove the plastic cover and pull th ei/m out and remove the white cover off the head of the icemaker
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

before i do that - when i looked now - the fingers were up pointing up and then they moved again - and when i repeated your earlier exercise there is a flashing red light now even when the internal light is off .

ok ,, dont pull the i/m ,,,, when it finish its cycle it should stop at 2 oclock ,,, feel in the icemaker and see if you feel water
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes its stopped around 2 o clock

no water its dry as a bone in the back tray

your problem is that you need a water valve ,,, the part number for it here is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand you can order it from www3.sears.com ,,,,, i dont know if this is a good number over there but a appliance parts house can tell you ,,, you may need your model number and tell them you need the water inlet valve ,,,,,,,,, thanks and have a good day / larry
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service