william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

Hi, Im installing a Hampton Bay 52 Ceiling Fan - Carriage

Hi, I'm installing a Hampton Bay 52" Ceiling Fan - Carriage House II. The fan housing cover, when screwed into place the motor assembly from turning. Whast do I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The motor assembly is supposed to turn with the housing cover installed. It does not. It binds against the bottom of the cover. The blades are not yet attached. With the cover off the motor assembly turns freely.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
try putting it all together as directed in the instructions and see what happens
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I used the instructions and followed the steps. It appears as though the motor assembly is positioned to low to clear the lowest part of the fan motor housing cover. The opening in the housing is smaller than the motor assembly's diameter. The bracket that holds the motor assembly is not adjustable.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
sounds like you got some wrong pieces with the fan i would take it back and get another one
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I placed a call to Hampton Bay Fans and told them the housing cover is 1. too shallow for the motor assembly or 2. the shaft for the motor assembly at the top or the bottom is too long for the housing or 3. the opening at the bottom of the housing is too narrow for the motor assembly. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

and what did they tell you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had called them Friday morning and they were going to have a tech call me back at work. I never heard. I'll call again Monday.

I swaped the mounting bracket from the previous fan (which was a Casablanca with a bad fan speed switch (only had high left in one direction). That mounting bracket was slightly shallower and would give me the correct height but the holes did not match up with the Hampton Bay ceiling bracket. So I then used the Casablanca ceiling bracket which took away the motor height. I'm an 1/8 of an inch higher now with the motor assembly but still not enough clearance to spin the motor assembly.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
can you take this back and get another one has it been a year yet?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No. I bought it last fall at Home Depot and don't have the receipt any longer. I think it Hampton Bay can't send me a housing slightly longer 1/4 to 1/2 in. from ceiling to bottom or slightly more open at the bottom 1/2 in. I'll cut the opening larger with a metal saber saw blade, file it, and touch up the edge with paint and call it a day.

Thanks for trying to help. Good-bye.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
i hear ya good luck
william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate