Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. working for a major domestic appliance company. Numerous training programs with cities, guilds and major manufacturers.
14831508

I have a GE smooth top electric convection oven that I purchased

I have a GE smooth top electric convection oven that I purchased about 3 1/2 yrs ago. About a week ago twe expereinced problems with the convection part of the oven. When we pushed the convection button the fan will work but the oven will not heat (the coil on the bottom will not come on). When we push the bake button the oven will heat (the coil on the bottom will come on). What is the possible problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Hi
Can you give me the model number please?
Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm not sure where to find it. There is a sticker on the side of the oven door: 164D3871P001. Is that it? Thanks, Tarry
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Hi
sorry thats not the model number
Go here
http://www.partstap.com/modelnumber_locator.aspx#disp

This should help you find the number

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the help with that, the model # XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Hi
Thats better...lol
Ok, go here
http://www.repairclinic.com/Appliance-Parts?s=t-JBP84SOH3SS-%3d%3dc202
These are the elements for your stove.
I think that probably the top and bottom ones work, but the fan assisted round one at the back of the oven is faulty.

You may want to gain access to the element to check it with a multi meter. If its open circuit you need to replace it. You can buy it from the link I sent

If this has helped, please click the accept button
Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX't the top and bottom ones still come on with the fan. When the convection button is pushed the oven does not heat at all, the fan just runs but when only the oven button is pushed the top and bottom elements do come on.
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Hi
The circular fan and element is called lots of things, convection, fan, forced air etc.
This will only come on with the fan. The other elements do not come on at the same time

Thanks
Rob