John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My refrigerator dispenses water very slowly and does not make

Customer Question

My refrigerator dispenses water very slowly and does not make ice. I replaced the dual solenoid valve in the back of the refrigerator; I suspect the original valve was okay.   I do not hear the solenoid open to fill the ice maker, so it is possible the switch is defective in the ice maker. However, the problems with the slow flow of water from the dispenser and the no ice making occured at the same time. Perhaps the problems are coincidental but not related. By the way, the water filter has been replaced. The switch in the door to deactivate the water dispenser functions. I looked over the interior and exterior to find the model number with no luck. The refrigerator is a Frigidaire Gallery about 10 years old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi , Thanks for the question,So you did all that and still no water ,Sometimes the reservoir for the water disp gets frozen ,not allowing the proper flow,The reservoir is located in the fridge behind the crispers ,Remove the panel And thaw the reservoir
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is your explaination for the ice maker not working? Is the water flow to the ice maker via the reservoir? I can hear the solenoid engage for the water dispenser, but not for the ice maker. Is that an indication the swich in the ice maker is not funtioning. How do I get to the switch in the ice maker - is it easy to get to? I haven't defrosted the refrigerator, so I have not confirmed if the reservoir is frozen. Where is the model number displayed? It certainly is not obvious.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Yes it does in some Thats why the filter ,The ice maker ,might have cycled ,But got no water,So check that reservoir, Model # XXXXX XXXXX on the sides by the crispers or behint the kick plate Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Interesting that a dual solenoid valve is required yet there is only one filter. Will I be able to ask more questions once I determine the condition of the reservoir and whether it resolved both problems.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Ok talk then
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

A frozen reservoir is not the problem. I could not determine if the reservoir was frozen, but I went through the procedures to thaw and ice.

The model of the Frigidaire Gallery is FRS26ZGEW3. I do not hear the ice maker solenoid engage and the water from the dispenser is very slow. In fact, the water from the dispenser does not flow immediately following pressing the dispense button.

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
It could even be air in the lines ,seeing the slow flo It has to be It is flowin keep trying it I dont know what else to add
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If there is no ice in the ice maker, why don't I hear the solenoid open to bring water into the ice maker; I checked the ice maker and the lever is in the correct position to make ice. There appears to be two distinct problems. This is crazy!! This is a simple system. Two switches and two solenoid valves - one for each service.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
If you dont hear the solenoids take the cover off the ice maker and check the switches,Theres two micro switches check that