Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

we have a ge side by side refrig that the fan motor will not

Customer Question

we have a ge side by side refrig that the fan motor will not run. We replaced the fan motor and the circut panel twice. Still does not run. There is 5 volts to the motor. Model # XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 7 years ago.

Which fan motor - inside the freezer or the condenser fan underneath?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is the freezer fan

THese are a little difficult to diagnose but basically there should always be 12 volts to the fan motor and then a signal from the board ( also 12 volts ) turns on the transistor in the motor at different pulses to determine which speed to run the motor . I'll get you some information to check this motor but for now get a 9 volt battery and three jumper wires of some type ( the kind with alligator clips on each end would be ideal but some wire to make connection from the battery to the motor ) I'll be back in about 45 minutes and we'll go from there.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This info tells me that the voltage seems to be incorrect. The motor does run with an external battery.

What control circut drives thsi motor?

We replaced the main circut board twice thinking it was a defective new board

Have you done this all ready ? Hook wire from positive side of battery to red wire of motor , negative side to white wire , and another wire from positive side to yellow wire and motor runs?

Did you get my last message?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we are bring the unit into the shop on saturday and will check it further on monday
The fan motor in question does get its voltage from the main control board. I would definitely check that you have the board wired correctly. The new board is made to work on many models and the connectors may not go exasctly where they did on the original. Make sure that if wire connector has 7 spaces it fits on the 7 pin male , 9 on 9 etc, it is not that difficult to cross this up.Please hit the accept button if you are satisfied with my answers , it is how I get paid.