william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

I have a Kenmore refrigerator with an automatic ice maker.

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore refrigerator with an automatic ice maker. The previous ice maker worked fine, except there were pieces of teflon( or whatever no-stick coating it is) in the ice cubes coming off the ice cube trays. I replaced the icemaker unit and the ice maker would only fill 4 of the 8 trays and make the ice. I thought it was a water supply problem so I replaced the 1/4" supply line to the valve on the rear of the refrigerator, the valve, and the saddle valve for the water supply.   I still had the same results. I took the ice maker unit to the supply house and exchanged it for another one. I installed it with the same results. The water supply is more than adequate.   What should I do next?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
what do you mean by 4 out of the 8 trays do you mean the ice cubes whats your model number please? thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The icemaker is designed to make 8 cubes at each cycle. It appears that the amount of water that is released into the tray is insufficient. All cubes that are produced are not solid ice(they have a cavity of air in the center.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
you just replaced the main water valve or did you change the water/ice water valve selenoid? what your model number please? thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I changed the water/ice water solenoid valve. The valve on the rear of the refer. close to the bottom-the 1/4" water supply line connects into this item.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
whats your supply line made out of plastic tube or is it a copper line? thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have a model# XXXXX this is a scratch and dent pruchased from Sears service. Kenmore brand.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The water supply line is new and made of plastic. It is the newer heavy plastic hose. I purchased it from my local Ace Hardware.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
do you notice any bends in it is it coiled up nice look on the inside of your frige there should be a tag with info on it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is coiled nicely with no bends. I have double checked this.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
look on the inside of your frige there should be a tag with info on it look for the model number i need to know what kind of icemaker you have
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The identification tag that tells you the frige model# XXXXX serial# XXXXX been removed. Is there another place to look for the number that you need? I had removed the old icemaker and matched it up at the appliance parts store since I had no model#.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
well thats sucks tell me which way your icemaker sits when your looking at it when you open the door? thanks