John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have a Kitchen Aid side by side KSSS42MHX that started cooling

I have a Kitchen Aid side by side KSSS42MHX that started cooling less efficiently on the refrigerator side then ultimately wouldn't freeze on the freezer side. The compressor started to run constantly and got noisier. I defrosted the unit, cleaned the coils etc., to no avail. I then removed the panel over the coils and noticed that they ice up quickly. Is this a symptom of a faulty compressor or the defrost thermostat, and if the latter, is it something I can order and replace?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Hi Thanks for the question,If they frost up Quickly ,The compressor is ok,When you took the freezer wall off to look at the coils was the evap all frosted up Did you thaw it all out and it came back again
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I turned the unit off and "parked it" the only part of the unit which was getting cold were the pipes leading into the coils. Having sat now for some six months, there is no evidence of cooling at all, even with the compressor running although I have only had it turned on for a half hour at the longest.

Thank you by the way, for your help on this!

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Hi If the only pipes that were getting frost ,was at the beggining of the coils ,Thats a bad compressor or a system leak.Both problems are bad problems $$$ to repair