John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

my whirlpool ultraease shuts itself off for an hour+ everyday.

my whirlpool ultraease shuts itself off for an hour+ everyday. It gets to where everything in the freezer melts. after time it starts back up. what could be causing this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi Thanks for the question,When this happens Does it all shut down ,No fans on ,Or anything, Please send me the model #
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it all shuts down... Let me see if I can find the model #
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay the mod # XXXXX XXXXX

serial is sj1539888
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Is this a U K product ,The model is not coming up
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
dont think so, I live in cali. maybe I wrote it down wrong... Let me see
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay it is

ED22RFXFW01
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Theres a few things you can check for now,Pull the fridge out and make sure the coils are clean ,And the fan motor is on,Feel for a very hot compressor,let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The compressor is hot, the fan is spinning and we blew the coils off last night. Do they need more than blowing all the dirt and dust off?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
How were the coil;s at the back ,very bad
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes they had like an inch of dust on them...maybe more.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
That could have caused your problem,To much dust on the coils ,It will make the compressor over heat, and cut off
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so should I take a damp cloth and clean them really good? because we have blew them off a few weeks ago as well and it still does it.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
In your post you said you did the cleaning last nite ,Make sure its clean and the fan is going at full speed Its very important about the dirty coils ,It can cost you a new fridge
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I did it last night and a few weeks ago... Im just wondering if blowing it with a shop vac is enough.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Theres fins back there and they have to be clear to let airflow to cool the coils and the compressor properly,Try it And give the fridge 24 hrs to cycle ,It should be ok

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
k, we'll get back to them once we test it.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK talk then
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.