John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have a GE range 5 yrs old. Yesterday when I started to clean

Customer Question

I have a GE range 5 yrs old. Yesterday when I started to clean my self cleaning oven, the glass in the oven door shattered after the oven had been on for approx. 10 minutes. Why?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Hi Please send me the Model #
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The model/serial # XXXXX XXXXX I had turned the oven to "clean". It had been on approx. 10 min when I heard a loud pop and when I looked, the glass was shattered.

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Hi It does happen with stoves ,The glass looses its temper ,It is tempered glass,

So it can happen,Here is the site to order the glass ,And the breakdown to help you ,with the replacement,If you require more assistance I am here to help

The Appliance Doc

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your time. I have never had this happen before.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Yes it does happen,When you get the new one ,Make sure you install as per instruction,If installed the wrong way ,It could break again ,