william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

Magic Chef W205KW does not spin but pumps/drains

Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
what is this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The motor and belt are fine with normal agitate/wash. The lid switch cuts off the motor during the spin cycle so I don't believe that is the problem. It has a "spinning transmission" and I am reluctant to tear into that without knowing what I am up against.

I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thanks

Lindsay
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
so when you raise the lid it quits right? as its suppose to
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the lid switch cuts the motor off when the lid is raised.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
but you said it wasnt spinning
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can use a screwdriver to depress the lid switch when the lid is open. When I do this during the spin cycle, the pump drains the water in the tub, but the tub does not spin.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
does it do this in all the cycles sorry for all the questions tell me when you use the screw driver on the lid switch do you hear any clicking whe you go up/down
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just the spin cycle. It fills with water, agitates/washes, drains, rinses and drains but does not spin when its supposed to.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
i realize this but does it do it on all the cycles like gentle permenent press and so on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it doesn't matter. Regular, Perm Press, Knits, etc. No Spinning.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

just to make sure i want you to open the control panel and at the base of the cabinet you will see a 2 wire mulex connector going into the base of the cabinet unplug the washer first unclip that connector and insert a jumper wire in the 2 end holes coming from the timer and then plug it back in and try it on the spin cycle

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Jumping the lid switch didn't work.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
you jumped it coming from the timer end right
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I got the same scenario as if I had used a screwdriver to fool the switch that the lid was closed. Pump works but no tub spin.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If the timer doesn't work, what next?
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

do you hear a humming noise when its suppose to spin

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, while the pump is draining the tub.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
its the timer its the only item left
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
its the timer
william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate