Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

A repairman replaced an evaporator fan motor in my zub zero

Customer Question

A repairman replaced an evaporator fan motor in my zub zero model 550 yesterday because of inadequate cooling in the refrigerator compartment. The freezer compartment was functioning properly. When I returned home, I noted that he didn't leave any product info or warranty. Today, the freezer compartment was was not functioning. All meats spoiled. Is there any connection between the freezer malfunction and the initial problem or the work performed by the repairman? What seems to be the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  I.can replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

If he tested the fan and found it faulty, then he was correct to do so.
But perhaps the fan burnt out due to another problem like a bad relay or some intermittent short in a wire or component.
You need to call the same person back so he can know what was done and follow thorough
with the diagnoses.
This time if there is a cause for the fan being out he should find it easier to locate it.

there is no reason for him to charge you another service charge because he did not fix it the first time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't follow you. Why would a bad relay cause a fan to malfunction? If the relay were defective and it caused the fan motor to malfunction, why did the replacement fan not malfunction also? If there were a short in a wire or a component, why did the replacement fan motor not malfunction? A new problem developed. I'm confused by your explanation.
Expert:  I.can replied 5 years ago.
The freezer compartment has its own fan which may or may not be affected by any shorted wire or component that can cause a relay or fan failure.
I am not there so I am search blind.

This is a similar problem.
First the food compartment was nod cold and now the freezer compartment is not cold.
There is something else going on other than the fan motors that is causing this.

Remember that I am not there on location and can not see, hear, feel or know anything that's going on except for what we interact with together between you and I.
i have to be an investigator and you are my eyes and ears.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The repairman did not replace a rerlay or repair a short. He replaced a fan motor. The refrigerator unit is now cool. So, you're theory of a bad relay or a short doesn't appear to explain the initial problem. My question is why, if the repair work was performed and the refigerator problem was corrected, there is a new problem, immediately after the work was performed? Are you saying that afer he checked all compressors and relaced the fan motor, there was suddenly a new problem? And should a repairman who replaces a fan motor provide warrany information?

Expert:  I.can replied 5 years ago.
Yes there seems to be a new problem and it may be that the fan motor for the freezer happened to go at about the same age as the one in the food compartment.

There is only a warranty on the part he changed , which is the fan motor in the cold food compartment.

The Subzero is a high end unit and has many features.
along with many features comes the complexity and more expensive repairs.
The more bells and whistles, the more that can go wrong.
Now what I was getting at was that perhaps there is an electrical problem that may be causing more than one malfunction.
But I am not able to be there with my eyes and hands in the appliance.
Unfortunetly you need service again on location and unless you have a warranty from the manufacture or an extended warranty he will not service the unit as warranty service.

What I've seen people do is call their public service ( Electric company ) an pay a monthly fee of $12.00 or so for an on going monthly service contract.
But this usually takes 15 days to kick in.

Then service and parts are free!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry. I can't accept your explanation that an electrical problem has caused more than one malfunction - when there was one problem, it was corrected, and a new problem arose. Your responses have not been informative to me.
Expert:  I.can replied 5 years ago.
I will repost your question and another expert will pick it up.
Have a good night!
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.

hi,i work on subzero's all the time,they are 2 seperate fridges joined together,fan going out in fridge will not cause a problem in the freezer,it is a completely different issue..couple things to try open the bottom drawer push the white switches,one for lite other for fan.do you hear the fan running with the button pushed in?also any frost on the ceiling? if both ok ..ive had some compressor issues occasionally.

have you cleaned the condenser? can you see a flashlight through the condenser coil?one side to the other?

is the condenser fan running? if not? the mullion above the freezer will be very hot to the touch.

let me know