John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have a 5 year old frigidair,and noticed that the ice in the

I have a 5 year old frigidair,and noticed that the ice in the bucket was starting to melt,and noticed the air coming out of the vent in the freezer was not as cold as it should be. also the refrigerator part was not as cold either.after about an hour the freezer got very cold again as did the refrigerator.It seems to be cycling back and forth between cold and not so cold.i cleaned the condenserand everything underneath but it seems to do the same thing....very frustrated.
Hi Thanks for the question,Open the freezer door ,Tell me me if you can hear the fan going in the freezer,blowing a good bit,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes the fan is blowing the same amount of air it always did,but i noticed after i saw the ice in the bucked starting to melt that the air was cold,but not quite as cold as it should be

How often does this happen,And how much food is in the freezer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it seems to cycle about an hour or so real cold,and then estimating about the same not so cold...I never actually timed it....when it goes into its warmer cycle everything in the freezer starts to melt.we took almost everything except 1 piece of meat out of the freezer to see if it is staying frozen.
Check the freezer wall for frost ,and at the bottom of the freezer where the grill is for frost, And I will need the Model #
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
model # XXXXX not find any frost

Does this look like your fridge,

Or is it a side by side

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the freezer is on top
You said you cleaned the condenser ,Did you do that from the front grill
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I cleaned it from the back and from the was a little dirty but not that bad

What to do now is to remove the freezer back wall where the fan is ,And look at the coils,They should all have a film of frost on them ,Not all frosted up,to cover the fin's .If some of the coils have no frost on them then its a system problem,If its got too much frost its a defrost problem,Let me know what you find
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the freezer right now seems to be working good i took off the back wall and their is a layer of frost on the whole coil,but when it seems to be cycling warmer i wonder if the coil would have frost on it...

Your probably catching the fridge on a Defrost Cycle,It will fluctuate like that ,especially with not much food in it .Thers a defrost thermostat on the coils set at 55 deg So when it goes into def the temp will rise in the freezer, There is the fluctuations,Put it back together and watch it for 24 hrs wit a thermometer in the freezer ,Try for - 5
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i will keep an eye on it..I wander if the defrost thermostat may be going bad,i dont remember that much thawing in freezer before.also the ice maker is not making much ice because of the warm temps...

That could very well be ,Why not replace it its a cheap part .

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for the help...
Thanks Good Luck