Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I asked two questions a couple weeks ago about my Maytag MDB5601AWW

I checked and found 115v at the latch so you (Chas) told me the computer was bad. I ordered the computer (where? second question) for $159 and it arrived about two weeks later. I installed it and nothing. I checked and I have less than 115v (barely registers) at the latch. I've been out of town and now I'm trying to get the dang thing working. what now?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Hi I am here....The power to the latch on these models is before the computer, I had to go by what info you gave me at the time,,,If you had 115 volts at the door switch then and now you do not then , we can look again and see what is happening,,,,I am going to need the model number again and a little history on what we checked before...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The Maytag model number is XXXXX I told you there were no lights and the dishwasher wouldnt come on. You said to check the voltage at the latch and I did and had 115v. You said the computer was bad and then gave me a link to two different on line parts suppliers and I ordered the computer. I installed the computer, which wasn't difficult (everything plugged in) and it still doesn't do anything and now I have less than 115v. I'm wondering if now I need to order a latch?
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
You may have a intermitten connection at the latch you can jump out the latch temperorily and see if it powers up.
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so how do I do that?
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
If you look at the door latch you will either have 2 wires or 4 wires, just match the colors black to black and white to white and see if the panel starts working then...if so then the door latch is the problem..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have four black going into one side of the latch and four white going into the other. I've removed the plugs from the latch and placed a single wire from one side (2 black wires) of the plug to the other side (other two black wires) and did the same one the other plug - nothing. I'm making a good connection because I can use my voltage tester on the two seperate wires I inserted and get the same less than 115v I did when they were connected to the latch.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
check the wire connection under the kick plate where the house wiring comes into the unit, see if you are 115 volts there still...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No! I have the same "less than 115v"
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
IF you do not have 115 volts at the bottom of the unit, then you will need to make sure that the breaker is in to the unit and not popped
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i borrowed another voltage tester (a little more accurate) and I'm getting 115v to the dishwasher and in the door latch when I bypass, but still nothing on the panel.

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
I will check my books tonight when I get home from work,,,,,we are missing something that is obvious...