Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

We have a slightly less than 5 year old Kenmore HE3 front load

We have a slightly less than 5 year old Kenmore HE3 front load washing machine (110.42822203). We noticed the other day that during the spin cycle, it has gotten louder and doesn't sound as smooth any more. I took the back off of it today and removed the belt, which was in good shape. When I spin the large wheel on the back of the drum, clearly there is maybe a bearing issue. It spins freely, but it does squeek a bit and there is friction. When I hooked the belt back up and turned it...it seemed to be a bit worse with the downward pressure. There is also some very dark residue that looks like it has run out of the housing there. Before a service technician shows up on Monday, I would like to know if there is a relatively easy part swap that I can do and how to do it. For the time being, I have disconnected the washer and it is not being used for fear of burning up the motor.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry, there is no easy part to replace, your rear bearing has gone out and if you do not have an extended warranty on the item then this repair will be over $600 as the rear half of the tub will need to be replaced...I have done many of them in the last year and to date unless you have a service plan it will not pay for it...
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So does this not fall under my 5 year parts warranty for gearcase? I called Kenmore on that and they couldn't tell me what "gearcase" was, eventhough it was listed under the warranty. They said a technician would determine that. The "gearcase" parts is covered until August of this year....
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
No there is no gearcase, only on direct drive washers, you will pay $65.00 for the diagnosis when sears arrives to find out there is no gearcase... Sorry...Chas