Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

washing machine makes weird noise and smells like burning rubber what is the matter

Customer Question

GE washer model -wp1180G stacked unit old. Probably no parts available but need to be sure what is the problem. Can't find info anywhere
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
sounds like the belt is bad in this, this is probably available if you call this # XXXXX may be able to get the belt to you. 1-800-540-0800 talk to bradly he's really good at finding parts . hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Does this mean that the tub might not spin as fast as it should and leaves clothes wet? Would the friction from the slipping tub increase with the load size resulting in laundry smelling like burned rubber?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
yes exactly, if the clothes are comming out wet the belt is most likely slipping. and that would cause a burning smell. Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I called Bradley and ordered the belt. It turns out he is in MA too. I will get it tomorrow. One more thing, when I change the belt, the instructions say I need a spring gauge tool ( p/n 133002). Can I get one at the hardware store or is it a machine specific tool?

Thank you so much for your help.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
thats funny your from MA. I was born and raised there in Belllingham MA.! just moved here about 7 years ago. anyway I'm not sure about the tool though I doubt they have it at a hardware store, i would call Bradley back and ask him,,, what part of MA. are you from.? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Brewster on the Cape.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I lived in Sandwich for four years just before I moved here.what a small world. well best wishes, Bryan