william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate

I have the Kenmore Elite Ultra Wave Microwave Hood combo; Model

I have the Kenmore Elite Ultra Wave Microwave Hood combo; Model #721.63762300. I am getting an F-9 error message. This oven is just 4 years old. Can I get an estimate of repair or should I just replace it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
when does this fault code pop up? thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when I push the start button, it comes on for about 5 seconds, then quits and the F-9 message appears. When it is running during the first 5 or so seconds, there is a clicking noise which is new. It comes on about once every other second. I'm not sure that it is heating at all. I put a cup of water in the oven to test. It is still quite cold when I pull it out.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
how long do you have the cup of water in for? thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I remove the cup when the oven quits. It is less than 10 seconds. Probably closer to 5 seconds.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

F9 almost always indicates a door switch fault. (In some models F9 with another letter behind it means something else entirely).

This is usually caused by either a bad door switch, a loose door switch mount (which are pretty simple problems to fix) or occasionally a problem on the control panel.

Even though a door switch clicks, it may still be bad inside. Its continuity must be checked.

Door switch or mount trouble can be caused by slamming the door or by opening the door while it's cooking without hitting the Stop pad first.

There are plastic mounts inside the microwave which hold the door switches and onto which the door latches lock when you close the door.

The screws on these mounts may be loose. If they get too loose, the switches will not be activated properly.

Sometimes it's a broken tab on the switch holder, allowing the switch to rotate just out of position. This tab can be hard to see, since it is under the bottom edge of the switch.

One test that sometimes helps is to gently lift up (and/or push down) on the door or handle as you try to start it. If it works or tries to work, then it's a door switch mount or door alignment issue.

If this answers your question,click accept as this is how we get paid for our knowledge.Need more info ask.bonuses appreciated. note;As I am not there this is based on your observations and information.

william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate