Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

My Maytag Refrigerator with freezer on the top is short cycling

My Maytag Refrigerator with freezer on the top is short cycling the compressor. About every 4 or 5 minutes the relay clicks on and the compressor starts to run for about 5 seconds and then shuts off. This started during the night sometime, so the refrigerator and freezer are still cold, but seems to be getting warmer. Would this be a problem with the relay switch or the compressor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
it could be with the compressor but most of the time on a maytag the start device is the part that goes out and its mounted to the compressor ,,, the compress can still be bad but you wont know till you replace the start device ,, if the compressor is bad and your fridge is less than 5 years old then it can be replaced under the 5 year sealed system warranty but the start device would not be included ,,, if you like me to try to dig up a part number for the start device then please send me the model number ,,, thanks Larry
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. The model number is XXXXX
Also, prior to this happening, the compressor did seem a little noise, with a bit of a rattling sound when running. The refrigerator is still at around 38 degrees. I just put the thermometer in the freezer, but the icecream is getting soft.
the part numbers are W10194431 and(NNN) NNN-NNNNand you can get both at and they will be under $60 ,,,, hope this helps and have a good day / larry