Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hi! Last night a guest in my home turned on my Amana microwave

Hi!

Last night a guest in my home turned on my Amana microwave (it is a hood top model) with nothing in it and ran it. Two or so minutes later, I smelled plastic burning. I opened the door and saw that two of the metal rack support clips had started to melt onto the rack.

I am assuming that this happened because the microwave was run with nothing in it (the person was trying to use it as a timer?!?!?)

My question is, can I remove these clips myself, order the parts and just replace (they do not seem to just pop off easily so I didn't want to use force) or is this an issue I need to have a repair person come check out and fix? Also, do you have any ideas for getting the melted plastic off of the metal rack?

If this is something I need a repair person for, can you recommend one in Gaithersburg, MD and do you have an approximate idea on cost to fix (I looked up the parts price and they are less than $3 per clip to purchase online).

Thanks so much for your help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
can you get me model #?. I'll look that up for you. as far as getting the plastic off the rack try heating them up with a lighter and then scrap off with a knife or something .be carefull dont cut youself. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is an Amana Radar Range and the model # XXXXX XXXXX

Also, FYI, two brackets are fine, one is slightly melted but the last one seems melted down to the screw.

As mentioned the brackets do not just seem to "pop off" and I do not know how to remove so have not tried.

Thanks so much for your quick reply.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok these are the shelf holders, I know you already looked them up , what you need to do is the view I'm sending you Part 236980you can see the little tabs in the middle you need to use a very small screw driver and push these in and pull out on the holders. they will release and the new ones wil just snap back in. you may have to work these a bit to get them out. but they just snap in. hope thie helps , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank so much for your help -- it is appreciated. One more quick question -- do you think the reason the bracket melted was because the microwave was run with nothing in it?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
yes the microwaves in these are made to heat the food on the rack or one the bottom without food or something for the microwaves to hit they bounce around and heat whatever is in the cavity of the microwave. these plastic holders were the only thing the waves hit so they got hot and melted. you should never run a microwave without anything in it. replace them and it should be fine. thanks again Bryan