Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE profile refrigerator, Freezer on top with water

Customer Question

I have a GE profile refrigerator, Freezer on top with water dispenser on the inside. (model PTS22LHP). My refrigerator has stopped freezing on top and cooling in the bottom. This happened once before, I reset the temps and it started working again. It worked for four days. It has stopped working again. It sound like it is running properly but there is no cooling! Any Idea what the problem is????
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
let me look up you model and i'll be back soon. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok can you see if there is any frost on the back panel inside the freezer? et me know thanks Bryan, p.s. check real good and move the food to get a good look.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The freezer has started working again, it has cooled from 41deg to 14deg within the last hour. How will I find the problem if it works for 2 or 3 days and and then stops??????? there isn"t any frost showing. the fridge is only 5 years old
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
how long ago did this happen last time? have you heard any clicking or buzzing at all in the back behind refrigirator , let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This happened four days ago, I reset the temps and it appeared to be working fine. today the freezer part was completely thawed out and temp was showing 41deg. lower part 47deg

There isn't any strange noises, and it sounds normal. the compressor sound normal when ti cuts in.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
it sounds like you may have a cold control problem either that or you defrost timer may be sticking in defrost. let me check those and I'll be back. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
is this you control in the fresh food section. ? does it have two digital readouts.? Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That is the same control. This problem started after I unpluged the fridge to remove the wall plate on the electrial outlet. The fridge was running at the time. We have also experienced power failures in the past couple of months.

Are there any known problems with this type of refrigerator? the ice cube maker works well.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I believe i know whats causing your problem after looking at the parts. this has an electronic control board in it and we replace these all the time for this reason. heres the board, Main Control Board - Click Image to Close G.E has had to redesign these boards about four times over the past four years. this is what causes the refrigerator to act erratically, the cheapest place i've found these is @ http://midwayparts.net/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=8 you need to change this. it is located in the back of refrigerator if you pull the refrigerator away from the wall you will see a panel i believe on yours near the top left side when looking from the rear. hope this helps , thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can I replace this myself or will I require a Tech to do it for me? is it just a straight forward plug in board the same as a computer?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry I didnt give you the part # XXXXX WR55X10656 main control board or also called the mother board. and yes you can replace this yourself it just plugs in. it also comes with instructions. thanks and well wishes Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank's for the help Bryan! I will now check my board.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no problem. also see if it smells funny like a diode or something is overheating when you take the cover off. sometimes you can smell it. remember to unplug first. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks , much appreciated!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your welcome.