Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

A spoon got caught in my Insinkerator Pro 17. I removed it

Customer Question

A spoon got caught in my Insinkerator Pro 17. I removed it and the drum moves freely. When I press the reset button and turn the cover to on, nothing happens. My guess is that the reset is broken or less likely the cover switch just happened to fail at the same time.

Is the reset switch replaceable by me? I am reasonably handy. I think otherwise replacement of the whole unit is cheaper than calling for service. I don't know how old the machine is, I bought the the house only 2 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well thge first thing you should do is shut the ower off at the breker and check the connections to the garbage disposal. also is there an inline gfi breaker on this. check all the gfi 's in the kitchen and make sure one didnt trip. its unlikely the reset button is bad. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The disposal is a plugin under the sink. I checked the outlet for power and it is there. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
is this run by a switch or is it a batch feed, ( batch feed is the one you have to put the turn piece in the hole and turn it to start) let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Batch Feed.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok yhou probably need to replace the batch feed switch. heres the switch. Part 820740, it runs araound $44.00 at this site, http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-Pro+17.-%3d%3db99i820740&PartID=820740 and comes with instructions. hope this helps , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I still think it's the reset breaker. When I press it doesn't feel different. Usually the button does not go in as far once it is reset. Can it be jumped to see if it not working?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well it bcan if you remove the entire unit from the sink. do you know how to get the unit down? you will see a flange with slots you can place a screw driver in and turn counter clockwise to get the disposal down . you must remove the drain lines first, heres what the flange looks like. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=tur this counter clock wise to remove disposal. let me knw thanks Bryan, heres the reset button. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=