Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

The engine of our chest freezer seems to be running all the

The engine of our chest freezer seems to be running all the time now whereas before it used to turn itself on and off intermittently. How serious is this? Are we going to have to get a new freezer? (It's about 15 years old). Is it possible to tell me how much it may possibly be costing to run now compared to what it was probably costing when it was running properly. I shall be so grateful to have your advice. Elisabeth
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well there's deffinatly a dffierence in the amount of electricity you are using, have you seen any forst on the back panel inside the freezer? also is it cooling corectly, ? you may be able to repair this and have it run right again, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
  • Oh! how nice of you to reply so quickly! THANK YOU Bryan. Re your queries:- we defrosted the freezer about three weeks ago and it is running good and cold, but there is already frost forming on all four sides. In your opinion what is the most economical option? Is it really possible that an electrician could repair or replace the motor? Or can we stick with it as it is with the motor running all the time? Is it VERY much more expensive than when it turns itself on and off???? Or do we really have to buy a new freezer? Looking forward to hearing from you again. Elisabeth
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
can you get me the make and model #? you may just need to replace the cold control in this. let me know the model # XXXXX Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't think why but we have totally failed to find any mention of a make or model on the freezer. However . . . . what may, hopefully, be good news is that we fiddled around with the temperature knob and turned it down to minimum, and the engine immediately stopped running. And when we turned the knob up again the engine didn't start running again. So we are hoping that it will rest awhile and then when it has cooled down a bit the engine will kick in again. FINGERS CROSSED! Do you think it might be going to be OK???
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sometimes they just get stuck in one possition for to long and dont shut the compressor of , its possible it will run right now, if it doesnt start up agian you probably need to replace the control. keep your fingers crossed and let it go to see if it resarts when it needs to cool down again. hope this , thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.