Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Problems with a Maytag QuietSeries 200 Model MDE4658AYW dryer.

The dryer's front panel lights (around the selector dial) flash on and off twice every 20 seconds. When clothes are placed in the dryer and a setting is selected the dryer runs for about 20-30 seconds and then shuts off. Pressing start again and it runs for about 20-30 more seconds and then shuts off.

I need to know what is wrong with the dryer and the approximate cost to repair (including labor time) the dryer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
it sounds like you may have a bad motor in this. can you tell me if it starts right back up or do you have to wait a few minutes? let me know thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It starts right back up as soon as I press the start button. And 20 seconds or so later it shuts off again. This began occurring after an electrical storm. The dryer was plugged in but it wasn't in operation.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok , it sounds like a board problem from what your saying. the electrical storm is a clue . Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=these are very sensitive to electrical surges or pulses. even when off, in fact handling most electronic boards can be damaged by even static electricity, its sounds like the relay isn't holding in to keep it running. the other thing I would check is make sure the vent is clear , no birds nests or clogged up these will also shut down if the vent is clogged. let me know thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
one more thing . did you have any power outages or surges during this storm. you may have a nutural problem which you have to check with a meter. let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But what is causing the panel lights to flash twice every 20 seconds? That sounds more like a board or sensor issue rather than something blocking the vent.

Yes, we had about seven different power outages during this storm. Most only lasted a few seconds but one lasted about 10 minutes.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you need to replace the board unfortunately, your right. there really isn't any sensor that would cause that. the only other thing could be a power problem.if the neutral was affected by the storm this could be causing the flashing of the panel lights. if your neutral was intermittent, I would find out that before buying a board at $101.00.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.