Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my refrigerator and freezer are not cooling. I have cleaned

my refrigerator and freezer are not cooling. I have cleaned coils, the fan cooing the coils runs. If I unplug then plug it back in The compressor tubing will get ice cold for about 30 seconds then warms up. I do not feel any cool air blowing out of outlet inside refrigerator.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

do you hear a clicking or buzzing comming from the compressor? can you get me model# XXXXX make?also is the fan in the freezer section running,? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no clicking or buzzing from compressor, it sounds normal. I dont think the fan in freezer is running, Make is a Fridgidaire model frs26lf8cs3
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok this may be your problem. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=the evaporater fan if you take the panel in the back of the freezer off you should see this, also while you have the panel off check the frost pattern on the coils , these should be covered evenly across all the coils. also do you have a volt meter? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you speaking of the panel on the inside of the freezer? if so there are two. The top one the ice makers is in the way but the lower one I can get to. No volt meter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you speaking of the panel on the inside of the freezer? if so there are two. The top one the ice makers is in the way but the lower one I can get to. No volt meter.. got to coils.. I have had it unplugged for a while they look like they was some ice build up on them that is slowly melting. I can see the fan above the coils as well.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry had to go out for a bit. ok how frosted were the coils? you only need to remove the bottom panel for now. was ther allot of frost? can you see the fan? let me know thanks Bryan,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry was a lowes. The evaporator fan was not running. the coils were evenly coated with frost. i removed fan and put a ohm meter on the fan and it did not move the needle.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok now you should check the defrost thermostat. also you should check for 120 volts to the fan. if your getting 120 volts the fan is bad. if not (when coils are cold) test the thermostat. its loacated on the top of the coils, Part 892545it will look like this. test for continuity when its cold. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got 120 v to the fan. So the fan is bad is suppose.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes sir, you need to replace this , this moves the air from the freezer to fresh food compartment and back . this is how the fresh food section is cooled. replace the fan and you should be all set. thanks for being so patient I was in and out today, you did a great job checking this its good to see someone that can test things. well wishes and thanks again, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.