william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

electric w/h rheem 40 gal modl#81vh40dt. leaking seems to be

Customer Question

electric w/h rheem 40 gal modl#81vh40dt. leaking seems to be from bottom. opened drain valve but just small amount of water came out. what can i do.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
is it leaking from the drain valve or from the overflow valve pipe near the bttom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

IT IS NOT FROM DRAIN VALVE. I CAN'T SE WHERE IT IS COMMING FROM.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
and where is it coming from?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
LOOKS LIKE FROM THE TOP. FROM UNDER THE COVER OF THE TANK. DRIPPING DOWN.(NOT A LOT). WATER SUPPLY VALVE IS TURNED OFF AND ELECTRICITY TOO. RUST STREAKS INDICATE WATER COMING FROM TOP.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
how old is this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
+ OR- 10 YS.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

well more than likely its comeing from either your cold or hot side of the top of your tank

you can either drain it and replace the fittings or you can just buy a new tank if your gonna repair this i would throw in a new drain watervalve at the bottom but then again there could be so much sediment in the bottom of this plugging this up but that up to you how you want to repair this

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

CAN I TURN EVERYTHING BACK ON? HOW CAN I CLEAN SEDIMENT IF ANY?

CAN I GET BACK TO YOU LATER?

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

you say its leaking from the top is it wet by the electrical wires? before you turn the power back on remove the top plate and check to see that its not wet in there check that first ill be gone from 6.00 till about 9.00 i have to go get a MRI done

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ALREADY REMOVED THE PLATES. INSULATION INSIDE PLATES WAS WET.TANK HAS TWO PLATES. TOP PLATE WHERE REST BOTTON IS, BOTTOM PART OF THAT PLATE PORTION, WIRES ARE UNDER WATER.

BOTTOM PLATE WIRES ARE DRYED.

I GUESS I SHOULD NOT TURN POWER ON? OR WATER SUPPLY

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

no thats not a good thing again its up to you what you want to do depending how your money situation is i would replace it 10 yrs is a long time for a water heater

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

MONEY IS AN ISSUE. IA HAVE VERY LITTLE. RETIRED ON FIXED INCOME. WHERE CAN I GET HELP? WHAT WOUL THE CHEAPEST COST ME? ANY IDEAS?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
i hear you on the money issue our job went to china do you have any problems with hot water as far as do you get enough
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I WAS GETTING ENOUGH HOT WATER, BUT NOW I AM WORRIED BECAUSE OF WIRES UNDER WATER. THE CHEAPEST TANK, HOW MUCH SHULD IT COST? I THINK I SHOULD REPLACE IT.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
you should by all means was you looking for the same brand or does it matter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

BRAND DOESN'T MATTET. COST IS IMPORTANT SINCE BDGET IS VERY SMALL.

HOW MUCH SHOULD I PAY FOR CHEAPEST. ANY IDEA?

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
free would be better hang on let me check give me some time
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. THANKS. I'LL WAIT.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=89263-135-E2F40RS045V&lpage=none check this one out same size as yours $263.08 i got to run