Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a little 10 cubic foot 2-door Magic Chef fridge at

Customer Question

We have a little 10 cubic foot 2-door Magic Chef fridge at work. Around a month ago, a very loud knocking noise started coming from the back of it. When I'd open the fridge door, the knocking would stop. The freezer is working great, but the fridge section isn't cooling anymore. I'm supposed to be in charge of fixing this! Is it something I have to call someone out to look at and fix? Thank you for any help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sounds like it may be a evaporator fan issue. can you get me the model#? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
mbcr101W, looks like from what i can tell online. I can't seem to find a model number on the fridge itself.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ah. just found the owner's manual. it's model #MCBR1000W

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well i found what I believe is your problem but you may just have to defrost problem and the blades on this fanPart(NNN) NNN-NNNN width= were hitting ice , can you tell me if there is any frost on the back panel inside the freezer section? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't see any frost on the back panel. The blades seem to be whirring away though.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok but its not cooling in the fresh food section? do you feel any air comming through the vent into fresh food section? you could be frozen behind the back panel or in the air vent to the fresh food section. can you remove the back panel in the freezer section and check for allot of frost on the coils? let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay. I removed everything from the freezer, and at the bottom right corner there was frost build up, right where the panel can be removed. So I unscrewed the panel. Try as I might, I can't seem to pry off the panel completely. Only the top section is loose. So I can't really see what's going on in there, but you were right about the frost. Also, I don't feel any air coming through the vent in the fridge section.

Should I wait until it's had a chance to thaw out before trying to pry the back panel of the freezer off? I pulled so hard I cracked the lower portion of the panel.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes you can unplug this and let it defrost for around 24 hours with the doors open or you can take a hair dryer and defrost it.the panel is frozen to the coils. dont force it. more than likey you need to replace either the defrost thermostat Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=or the defrost timer. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width= you can get these here, http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-MCBR1000W-%3d%3di1206533&PartID=1206533 let me know , thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great!! Thank you so much for all your help!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your very welcome, well wishes and thanks Bryan, p.s. dont close the question in case you need more info. that way you dont have to pay again. thanks