Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Maytag Atlantis washer, model# XXXXX serial#

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Atlantis washer, model# XXXXX serial# XXXXX purchased in appx. 2002. The machine died full of clothes/water, no response from the control knob in any position. Wife says she noticed a burning smell, and a "funny noise" prior to it's demise. I arrived home several hours later and cycled the control /timer knob to spin and heard the usual timer tickingsounds, as well as a low hum or buzzing sound in vicinity of console/control panel area. No response from motor. I am hoping it is something simple like the lid switch, and not the motor. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, John.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
the first thing to check is the belt. tip machine back against the wall and you will see the belt underneath. this may be broken or possibly the belt burned up roll it off the pulley's and check for burns on it. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Helo Bryan. The belt is intact, in one piece and fully attatched to the 3 pulleys. Upon removal, I notice some slight glazing to both sides , but no burning of the belt. Jack.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok well the glazing will cause it to slip and give a burning smell but the machine stopping is what we have to figure out. I suspect its lid switch, pictured here. Lid Switch - Click Image to Closenine times out of ten this is the problem on this machine. you can get one here for $22.57 and this should take care of the problem, link , we replace allot of these , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One thing I forgot to mention Bryan. The machine works on Fill, just can't spin out the water once it does. Does that matter re; the lid switch? Jack.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
the only other thing you might check is the pump and make sure its clear. but if you don't hear the motor running or machine spinning its your switch. thanks again Bryan