Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I bought a used Maytag Oven (model # XXXXX , new 2006)

Customer Question

I bought a used Maytag Oven (model # XXXXX , new 2006) it was converted to Propane prior to me buying. The owner reconverted it back to Natural Gas for me. The oven lit up no problem when the original owner started it on propane. When I installed at home, the oven was slow to heat and kitchen smelled of gas. I originally thought it was the ignitor and replaced it with a new one. It glows brighter, can hear the gas flowing, can smell the gas, but does not heat/light - back to original problem. Both broil and bake orifices were changed and the regulator valve was changed for natural gas. I'm wondering if the regulator is pooched because it ran on propane for close to 3 years...?? I have toyed with an ampmeter and now the new igniter doesn't glow. It has 237ohms of resistence and 24 volts coming from the regulator when turned on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you may have to adjust the orifices, do the top burners work right? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes all the burners work fine. The Broiler also glows but doesn't light. Funny thing is, the Broiler will light if I open the door just a quick bit - as if i create a small vacuum.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok you need to open the orifices a little at a time until the oven burner lights correctly, your not getting enough gas flow to the burner. heres the orifices. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=theis is the whole set ,the big ones are near the back and the broiler. you need to turn these counter clock wise a little at a time until enough gas flows to ligh the burners. he tightened them to much and they need to be adjusted, Part 822138this is the burner for the bake. so the orifice is located right on the safety valve in the bottom of the oven. clcik here for all the diagrams for your oven http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=5170995 this should take care of your problem. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, Thanks Bryan. I'll try that for the broiler. However, my new oven ignitor doesn't glow anymore after I was toying with the ampmeter. So, can't try your suggestion on the oven. When turning on the oven, after the click, there's 24 volts going to the ignitor - seems low to me.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you deffinatly have a problem with the power to the oven igniter. there should be 120 volts to this. did you get any of the wires crossed when fooling with it, ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Probably grounded the one terminal of the regulator. There's 237 ohms of resistance at the ignitor itself - sound correct?

Just tried your orifice suggestion - doesn't work, unless I give the door a quick open.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes and you probably shorted out the safety valve. you will need to replace it at this point, the sites I gave you have the part, hope this helps, please don't forget to press accept for its the only way i get paid, you can still come back and ask more questions at no additional charge, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, so that doen't explain the broiler - unless the regulator is pooched from using propane for almost 3 years.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well its a duell safety valve one side runs the broiler the other the bake. but its one valve I believe on this. I doubt the regulator is bad but its possible. I've done many conversions after they been set up for propane for years and havnt had that happen, did you try adjusting the broil orifice yet? let me know ,I have to step out for a bit but will be back in awhile to check your reply. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I indicated earlier that I tried adjusting the broiler orifice and it didn't work. I even tried tinkering with the air shield. Nahdah. Just the hot glow and gas hissing - no fire.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

ok well heres the complete kit for this it comes with both safety valves and a new regulator, if your surface burners are working correctly the regulator is probably good though. you can order this here. http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=5170995 its $109.00 hope this helps Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, the burners work fine. The broiler works fine too IF i give the oven door a quick open.

I'll try the new kit. Thanks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no problem well wishes,thanks Bryan