I.can
I.can, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 Years of experience installing and repairing appliances
13086822

The door on my KitchenAid dishwasher soap dispenser does not

Customer Question

The door on my KitchenAid dishwasher soap dispenser does not open when it's going through it's wash cycle. It's a Model KUDI21D52. Thanks for your help. Nick
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for getting back to me. I have already taken the cover off the door to see how the door works and found that everything is operating properly. It seems that the bi-metallic latch is not releasing the door catch. What controls the bimetallic latch?
Expert:  I.can replied 5 years ago.
HiYa ,

Read what I have written below to test and change your bi-metallic latch

Your control board ,controls the bimetallic latch

Disconnect the power source to your dishwasher before you conduct this or any other repair. Either unplug the unit from the wall outlet, remove the appropriate fuse from the
fuse box, or flip the appropriate breaker in the circuit breaker panel.

How to to replace your dishwasher's bi-metal switch

Before you can begin to replace your dishwasher's bi-metal switch, you must first locate the device. It is located within the door assembly, in very close proximity to the detergent dispenser cup. You will need to gain access to the inside of the door.

Examine the outside of the appliance. Depending on the model, you will have to remove either the entire internal door panel, or the entire external door panel. In each case, the panel can be removed by removing anywhere from 6 - 10 screws. Be careful to not remove the screws at the very bottom of the door that are actually a part of the hinge assembly. Removing the hinge assembly screws will remove the entire door from the appliance, which is not at all necessary to replace the unit's bi-metal switch. With all of the screws removed, the door panel should be easy to lift off of the door assembly. If you have difficulty lifting the panel, look for additional screws you may have missed.

With the door panel removed, locate your dishwasher's detergent dispenser cup and the bi-metal switch assembly. Before you begin to test the switch, you should first check its alignment. If the detergent cup door is open, shut it. Use a small screwdriver to gently push in on the metal until the door of the detergent cup opens. It might just be that the switch has fallen out of alignment. Sometimes, only a slight adjustment is needed to allow the switch to open the detergent cup door. If this is not the case with your dishwasher, continue with the replacement.

There are two wires connected to the bi-metal switch. Label them so that you will be able to correctly reconnect them later. Remove each of the two wires from their respective terminals - they are connected with slip-on connectors. When removing the wires, grasp the connectors and pull firmly. Do not pull on the wires themselves. You may want to use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to help you. Now you can remove the screws that hold the switch to the detergent dispenser cup.

Discard the used switch and connect the wires to the terminals of the new bi-metal switch. Reattach the new switch to the detergent dispenser using the screws from the old switch. Replace the door panel and restore power to your dishwasher.

Before you can begin to test your dishwasher's bi-metal switch, you must first locate the device. It is located within the door assembly, in very close proximity to the detergent dispenser cup. You will need to gain access to the inside of the door.

Examine the outside of the appliance. Depending on the model, you will have to remove either the entire internal door panel, or the entire external door panel. In each case, the panel can be removed by removing anywhere from 6 - 10 screws. Be careful to not remove the screws at the very bottom of the door that are actually a part of the hinge assembly. Removing the hinge assembly screws will remove the entire door from the appliance, which is not at all necessary to test the unit's bi-metal switch. With all of the screws removed, the door panel should be easy to lift off of the door assembly. If you have difficulty lifting the panel, look for additional screws you may have missed.

With the door panel removed, locate your dishwasher's detergent dispenser cup and the bi-metal switch assembly. Before you begin to test the switch, you should first check its alignment. If the detergent cup door is open, shut it. Use a small screwdriver to gently push in on the metal until the door of the detergent cup opens. It might just be that the switch has fallen out of alignment. Sometimes, only a slight adjustment is needed to allow the switch to open the detergent cup door. If this is not the case with your dishwasher, continue with the test.

There are two wires connected to the bi-metal switch. Label them so that you will be able to correctly reconnect them later. Remove each of the two wires from their respective terminals - they are connected with slip-on connectors. When removing the wires, grasp the connectors and pull firmly. Do not pull on the wires themselves. You may want to use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to help you.

Now test for continuity using your multimeter. Set it to the x 1 ohms setting. Take each of the meter's probes and touch them to one terminal each. If you receive a reading of infinity, you should replace the switch.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX already taken the door cover off and checked the operation of the soap door and there is continuity at the bi-metallic latch. I've looked at the wiring diagram on the door but I can't tell what provides power to the latch. Is there some way I can bypass the timer to put power to the latch just to see if that the problem? Don't knock yourself out with this. It's Easter. This can wait if you want to get back to me tomorrow.
Expert:  I.can replied 5 years ago.
Okay

I'll find otu today or tomorrow.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cool. I'll talk to you later. Thanks
Expert:  I.can replied 5 years ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was wondering if you ever determined what provides the power to the switch,or how to bypass it?
Expert:  I.can replied 5 years ago.
I.can, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 10 Years of experience installing and repairing appliances
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So from what I can see in the parts diagram, the timer controls the power distribution. It seems that the timer is no longer available for purchase. So, I guess I'm looking at buying a new dishwasher. This one was pretty old anyway. It was due. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  I.can replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome