Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

The bearing on my kenmore elite mod 970-c41072-00 is leaking

Customer Question

The bearing on my kenmore elite mod 970-c41072-00 is leaking black grease onto my white sheets etc. The machine is 5 years old. What is involved in replacing defective part regarding parts availability and cost?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

ok is this a U.K. appliance? is this the tub assembly?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello
No this is not a U.K. appliance. It was made in the USA. The exploded view of a tub assy appears to be from a front loading clothes washer. I have not taken my washer apart so I cannot confirm this is my washer tub assemble. The model number should help but if you need the serial number please let me know and I will provide.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
is this a front loader? if it is the grease is probably not grease but the black sludge buildup the machines tend to get. the bearing on front loads cant leak grease into machine. the bearing is outside the outer tub. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello
The model number is XXXXX a front loading machine. We had a certified Kenmore factory technition in to look at our fridge and he noted that the washing machine bearing was getting very noisy. He predicted that it would release grease into the washload fairly soon. His prediction has come true. I would expect you, the expert to know at the very least that it is a front loading machine by the make and model number. If you can't tell from the information what type of machine it is I am losing confidence that you can be of much help in this situation. Are you able to give me any useful information regarding the replacement of the bearing like an instruction proceedure and a part number. If not then please let me know and I will instruct Paypal to stop the payment process.
thank you
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sorry couldnt find your exact model # XXXXX had to go out last night . you dont have to worry about being charge , I dont get paid for no accept, thanks Bryan , p.s. this is another post from another tech about this same machine this is what he says., Okay fair enough. Is there any way to definitely find the correct Parts list or repair manual for my front load washer model Kenmore Elite 970 C41072 00 ? If you are sure that it is Whirlpool I get it that they all buy from each other etc., I also am very familiar with parts shops etc., that have nothing to do with washers, so if I can identify what needs to be replaced I can find a generic bearing - again no porblem. I do however need help to establish this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will be glad to help you solve this in any way that I can. Please let me know what I can do.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well I really cant be sure of the parts but I believe these are pressed in and you need to replace the whole outer rear tub on this. Part 407639this is a huge job. even techs have a hard time with this job, the part is almost $200.00 but its the only way to get it. heres the link to this part. http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=b6a11i407639&PartID=407639 thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks very much. This is the information I need to help me decide how to proceed with either repair or buy new. Have a great day.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your welcome , thanks and Happy Easter