william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

I have a WHIRLPOOL DU840CWDB4 dishwasher (12 yrs old). Over

I have a WHIRLPOOL DU840CWDB4 dishwasher (12 yrs old). Over the last several days, I'm getting increasing amounts of white spots and what appears to be soap is building up. I tried running it without soap at all and get even worse results. Not sure if it's the dishwasher itself or the water source (using water with salt softener pellets).
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
what kind of soap are you useing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cascade Liquid Soap
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cascade Liquid Soap - been using it for years.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
how much of it are you useing per load? and are you useing jet dry?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Good Questions William.

I've tried filling both dishwasher trays 1/2 full and completely full - both with varying results of spotting. I've been told with our water system we don't need as much soap in the laundry or dishwasher, so we've backed off on both. I ran it without any soap last night and there was a white powder dusting on everything - looked like I dusted the load with flour.

Yes, I'm attempting to use Jet Dry. I filled the spout completely several weeks ago (6 - 8 wks) and checked it the other day - appears it's not been used by the unit. Jet Dry is still full.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

theres a couple of items that come in to play here i have to ask you some questions

is your water coming into the macine 120 degrees?

do you have a dial setting in your rinse ajent?

when did you start noticing this?

what kind of pellets are you useing?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

All good questions William.

The temperature coming into the machine is unknown. I have the hot water tank setting at around 'normal' and this hasn't been adjusted for several months.

I don't believe I have a dial on the rinse agent - I have normal dry or heated dry

I noticed this over the last 7 days.

Coincidently, I've just refilled my salt tank with pellets about two weeks ago. Found that I'd unfortunately let the level go WAY down - almost to nothing. Using Morton's softwater salt pellets. Not noticing any other 'water spotting' in other water areas (shower, etc.). being heavier than normal.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

sorry to take so long computer acting up ok i want you to do a vineger wash get 1 cup of vineger set that in the front lower rack let it run through a whole cycle do not use heat dry use air dry a course no dishes and after that use only 1 tbs of soap in your cups do this for me and get back with me okay dont do a load of dishes yet we need to find out how hot your water is we will do this when you get the vineger wash done

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks WIlliam. I will perform this advice tonight when I get home (I'm currently at work). How do I reach you again (I'm new to this forum for obtaining advice)?

Thank you.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

whatever you do when you come back here dont open another question just put in a request for me and they will notify me when you do one more item for you to ponder on your water has to be 120 degrees that helps with evrything too i ll talk with you later dont work to hard

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll come back tomorrow (same time) and let you know the results. Can I keep this ticket "open" to retain the discussion or do I accept & pay now?
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

you can do this either way they keep these open for a few days

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay - I'll keep this "open" until tomorrow. I'll return tomorrow (same time) with the results. Thank you for your assistance!!!
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

not a problem good luck rjc see ya thursday

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

William,

Sorry about not getting back to you yesterday. Hopefully, your in today. I tried the vinegar... and no dust. I thought I was in the clear so I used the Cascade soap again - with the same previously poor results: caked on soap. What do I do now?

Thanks!

RJC

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
did you only use 1 tbs of soap
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I used a little more than 1 tablespoon of the cascade.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

this is the liquid right/

try useing 1tbs and has your jet dry went down at all are you useing air dry or heat dry

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'll try cutting back on the soap.

Jet Dry level has remained constant.

Ended up hand washing the caked on soap off the dishes in a vinegar / water solution - worked great, but defeats the whole purpose of using a dishwasher. Smile

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
when you mean caked on can you explain that please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Powdery substance that covers the entiire dish or mug of varying degrees of thickness... from a light water spot to an entire "dusting" look.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
this is totally insane and you are useing the liquid soap right?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Correct. That's what makes it so bizzare.

However, after running the dishes through the dishwasher, I wiped them off with the vinegar water solution and they look spotless.

I will try about a teaspoon to tablespoon amount and see if that helps.

BTW, in using "air dry" setting, as soon as the dishwasher finishes, I opened it up and found the dishes to be quite hot - I can only presume they are getting th 120F water you mentioned.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
actually that has to be coming from your water heater when the water first enters the dishwasher since your jet dry dont work can you some how suck what you have in there out and put some vineger in there and see if we can get that unplugged? that too has to be working
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Oh, okay. I'll take my shop vac and see if I can suck out the Jet Dry. I'll then put vinegar in there and see if that also helps.

As for the water heater, it has been 6 months since I last drained it. I'm getting ready to drain it again. I wonder if that has anything to do with this. Water heater gets it's water from the water softener... (I presume).

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

thats if you got it set up that way some people dont why i have no idea

where you gonna drain this anyways? gas? or electric?

i want to thank-you for all you help well your doing all the work

but it helps when people want to work with you instead of against you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had planned on draining the hot water heater... somewhere along the way, I'd been told to drain the hot water heater every 6 months. It's gas.

Glad to be your eyes - not sure how else you can do it. Then again, that's just me I guess. It IS easier that way!

So, the next step is to get the Jet Dry out, put vinegar in and see if that helps. Also, use a teaspoon to tablespoon of soap on the next round of dishes. Correct?

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

yeah do that i want to ask you do you have a water filter?

and also think of your dishwasher as a car wash when it almost gets done they put that rinse agent on is the same as jet dry and after that they rinse it off and you get that sheeting action going on you know what i mean im begining to think thats where our problem is

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Don't know if I have a water filter. Would that be with the water softener system?

I have a screen at the bottom inside the dishwasher area that I've cleaned off.

If the Jet Dry area is our problem is that typically a simple fix?

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
do you have city water or a well water
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
City water.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
have you taken that sceen out to see if you had anything down in there?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good question. Honestly, not sure how to pull that off. I guess I can start prying up plastic, was more afraid of breaking off some piece that's some critical part which in turn ends up in me replacing the whole darn thing. :)
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
it should twist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay. Will twist it out of there and try cleaning it out too. I've never 'cleaned' it out since I moved in 4 years ago. Can only imagine what's in there!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
you welcome
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

William,

I apologize for the delays. I've been on other 'projects' since we communicated. I filled the jet dry port with vinegar and sealed the cap back on... not really sure how that part of the system works.

At any rate, I also ended up 'recharging' my water softener and then draining my hot water tank (I had to do that anyway - it was due for it's bi-annual flush). This APPEARS to have resolved the issue. Whether that remains the case is unknown - I've only run one wash.

Thanks again for your help!

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

that vineger acts like a cleaning if there where any small cloggs in there it would remove them you can probally suck that out and put the jet dry back in it hope everything work out ok for you thanks

william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate