Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Liebherr free-standing freezer. I have just returned

I have a Liebherr free-standing freezer. I have just returned from a month long business trip and noticed a faint regular beep. At first I thought it was my smoke alarm but I later identified it as coming from my freezer. This morning I pulled the freezer out to inspect the back and noticed a thick, black tar-like substance leaking from at the bottom of the freezer on the left hand side. I have booked a service call but couldn't get one until Thursday 16th. Do you think it's safe to leave this problem until then? I am away over the Bank Holiday weekend and am worried that the freezer may stop working and leak over my wooden floor. It appears to be working well otherwise.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I wouldn't leave this plugged in with your food in it until repair man gets there for two reasons. 1 this may stop running and you will loose all of your frozen food, and 2 most importantly if this is a compressor or overheating problem this could be a fire hazard! do you know someone you can bring your food to hold until this is repaired? you say its working well but this may be slowly failing and you don't realize it yet. hope this helps, thanks Bryan