Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

My GE gas stovetop wont stop clicking after cleaning it this

My GE gas stovetop won't stop clicking after cleaning it this morning. I've let it dry (for about 8 hours now) like the manual and website says, but igniters are (all four) still clicking. Is this an electrical hazard? What do I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Turn your oven on to 350 degrees for about 1 hour to drive out the moisture from under the switches, this should help stop it...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have already tried this as I said in question. It has been drying for over 8 hours and is still clicking. Is there something else to try?
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
You turned on the oven?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I had the oven on for about an hour this morning, then turned it off when I was leaving for work.

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
What is the model number of the unit?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
MODEL # XXXXX
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
The model number you sent is for an oven, is your cooktop built into the counter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Not sure exactly what your'e asking, but my cooktop is directly on top of my oven...they are essentially one unit.

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
No the model number gave me is a standalone oven model number, you cannot pull your oven out and the cooktop come out with it, can you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

All I know is that the cooktop sits on top of the oven. If I move the stove, as far as I know, the cooktop and oven would move together, Not seperately. I gave that model number to the GE people, and they were able to reference it. Let me double-check to make sure.

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
The model number you gave is good, however it is for a oven only...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, so I'm at work and can't get home to check for about 30 minutes. Can I get back to you then?

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
I will be here when you get home..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, will get it to you then.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
See you then
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I'm home now, and I see numbers under the gas range covers...not sure if this is it, but on one of the gas covers that sits over the 'igniter' is the number 183D7212-17.

Underneath one of the nobs that turns the gas on one of the eyes is: KIP5B55 191D2826
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
This number that we are looking foor is going to be underneath the unit when looking up at the cooktop, It should begin with a J also if it is a GE cooktop...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I have looked and looked, and the only number I have is the original one I gave you when it was installed...I had written it down in the owner's manual from the technician...sees to me that the cooktop would correspond to that. There are no screws or anything to undue to be able to find a cooktop model number. We'd have to pry everything open.

My husband came in, turned off the breaker and started cleaning and drying the burners. He got 2 to stop clicking, but the other 2 are still clicking. One of the burners has a sealed cover which cannot be removed...this is one of them that's still clicking. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
The only thing else you can try is a hair dryer to remove the moisture, moisture is the only thing that can cause this...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, will try that. Thanks for your help. Hopefully we'll get it stopped before having to pay $100+ tomorrow.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

Depending on who you have coming out it is going to be more like $160+, hope it works.

Chas

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech