Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a Samsung fridge freezer which is just over two years

We have a Samsung fridge freezer which is just over two years old. The fridge isn't cooling even though the cooling button is on full. The freezer is still working.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
do you see any frost on the back panel inside the freezer? look real good behind food. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There was a large build up of ice behind the bottom drawer in the freezer which I have removed.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok you have a defrost problem in this. first thing to do is defrost the freezer section, you will need to take the rear panel off the back of the freezer section and get all the frost off the coils behind rear panel. if you can get me the model # XXXXX'll look up the part you probably need for this . thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The model is the RL33SB and the serial number is XXXXX if that is of any use to you. Is this a defective part or simply a build up of frost? To defrost it do I simply turn it off and let all the ice melt? or is there more to it than that?
Adie
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well more than likely its the defrost thermostat. I'm still researching that , as far as you can just turn it off but put lots of towels down and you need to leave the doors open and leave it off for around 24 hours.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'm having trouble with that model #. is this a U.K. model?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a UK model. Looking on the back it gives the model number as RL33SBNS1/XEU and the model code is 1325.

After I've defrosted it for 24 hours, do I need to remove the back panel and clear off the frost? Presumably after 24 hours this will have disappeared?
Adie
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this is probably the problem . its cliped to the coils behind the panel inside the freezer, it will be on top. this one is made by G.E. but will work in most all model refrigerators. hope this helps thanks Bryan, if you need the original you will have to contact a supply house near you. as far as removing the back panel you will need to do this to fix the problem or it will happen again in about 30 days or less.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Bryan, what is the name of this part? What does it do?Will this part be behind the freezer section of the fridge freezer?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
its called the bi metal thermostat , and controls how long the heater stays on for defrost. they also call it the defrost thermostat, it is located in the freezer behind the back panel on the top of the silver coils. just clips on. yours may look a little different but they all work the same. not very expensive either, well wishes, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.