Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I own a Kenmore Elite 36 gas range. I have had problems with

I own a Kenmore Elite 36" gas range. I have had problems with the oven ignition. It started with the oven taking ages to light and when it did light, there were fumes and the oven would eventually start functioning, but every now and then we would smell fumes and then we would turn it off, and it would come back on again. So we changed the igniter since we thought that was the problem. However, when we changed the ignitor, when we put the oven on and the ignitor came on, there was a big burn off, a lot of flames under the baffle. After many attempts, when the igniter came on the oven never lit. We spoke to a Sears parts person who suggested that it was the gas valve that was faulty. We ordered a new dual gas valve and had it installed. The oven is now lighting again, which means the gas valve was faulty, but once again we are getting the big yellow flame coming from under the baffle, and gas fumes, and mini explosions when the igniter lights the gas. So now back to square 1
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
can you get me the model #? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Kenmore Elite Model No. 75403500
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
there should be a 3 # XXXXX on this before the #'s you gave me like 110 106 665. something like that, can you find that for me ? I need to go out for a while but i'll be back later and help you figure out the problem, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
M odel No 790.75403500
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok I have your oven up but have to run out and do a refrigerator but when I return I will see what I can find out for you, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
this sounds like to me you air mixture is not adjusted correctly. its either that or you gas oven burner is clogged or maybe even has a rust hole somewhere in it. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=if the holes nearest the back of this tube is clogged the gas doesn't reach the igniter right away and when it finally does you get a big woosh sound when the gas does light. I would call the tech back who installed the valve and have him check these things, if he knows what he's doing he should be able to adjust flame or check the tube. if he doesn't call a professional gas technician, this is a dangerous problem. thanks Bryan