Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a GE monogram double wall oven model zet857d sb . the

I have a GE monogram double wall oven model "zet857d sb". the proof setting worked once or twice, doesn't heat up now. what can i check/replace to get it working?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
which oven is the proof not working in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
neither one. I tried turning on the minute timer as well as th e cook timer, as indicated in the manual. neither setting had any effect on either oven. the convection fan comes on, the interiior light comes on and the oven indicator light comes on when the knob is turned to proof.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
ok but neither oven is proofing--- do they bake? Turn the bottom oven on bake.

Turn the top oven on proof.

The proof cycle only uses 120V so it's only gets "warm" and it takes a long time to actually get warm, maybe 30 minutes or so.

The bake should heat up right away.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
bake and convection bake work on both; i've used them recently. just now i turned on bake on bottom and proof on top; the bake on bottom is heating up.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
ok turn the bake off. Give the proof about 30 minutes and let me know if it gets warm inside (temperature will NOT exceed 150 degrees but it will still get a bit warm)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
84 degrees after 30 minutes. is this what it should be? it does appear to be warming up slowly.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
hmm I'd think 84 is pretty low as generally it you want it to be over 100. But there isn't 1 single component that controls both the lower and the upper oven.

That is why I was having you test it because I'm not sure it's actually bad. If there is something wrong then you have 2 components that are broken because the bottom oven is not controlled by any of the same components as the top oven. This might be something you want to have a tech at your house to determine if you really believe there to be something wrong.

Like I said, it isn't supposed to get very hot although 84 degrees is not much better than room temperature and should probably be by 100 or more by now (could be a slow reacting thermostat your using or even a bad thermostat of course). Reguardless if both ovens have failed in the proof mode you'll want to get someone out there to look the oven over because there are going to be 2 problems not 1.